1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

headlight replacement

Discussion in 'Toyota Prius Service Bulletins - TSBs' started by Donna Coleman, Feb 18, 2008.

1. magruder

magruder Average Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Buy a $5 inspection mirror, if you don't have one, it will payoff immediately.

2. Claude

Claude New Member

All,

I just replaced the HID type headlights on my 2004 Prius. They had started to fail randomly but if you turned the lights off then on again they would come back on. They would fail with no regular pattern and either side would go out. I found some interesting information while getting this fixed.
    1) The dealer quoted me $125 each side for labor to replace the HID bulbs plus $190 per bulb. IE: $630 minimum. He told me not to use any bulbs but the original Toyota replacements or I would be taking a big chance.
    2) I found replacement bulbs on line at an Ebay motors seller Mega Racer for less than $50 a pair. That is over $330 in savings. They are the 8000K blue hue style and look really nice.
    3) I found a local garage that has experience in replacing these Prius bulbs (No easy Task!) and he had it done oin less than a half hour and charge $36 labor.

So, for less than $90 I have new headlights and no problems. I just wanted all you Prius owners to know that you do not have to rely on the Toyota dealers for everything. I am not impressed with my dealer since they broke my glovebox hinge and refused to repair it claiming they didn't do it.

Thanks

3. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    LOL!..... I can't believe it!... what were they doing in your glovebox anyway?

But they always tell you that because they want you to buy their stuff.... too bad they can't just be honest and join free competition like everyone else.

They try to hold onto the days of hiway robbery and love to get paid allot for very little!

4. slowpokemary

slowpokemary New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When my 2005 Prius headlights needed to be replaced, the dealer, thinking for some reason that I had already had them replaces somewhere else, told me that the problem was that I had the wrong headlights! I told him that was his problem then, since they were the originals to the car, he replaced them without a question! I was kinda shocked.

5. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There could be a little truth to that.. but it would be the bulbs, not the whole assembly.

There has been some conjecture as to whether these bulbs are indeed a perfect compatibility fit for the ballast we have.
    Thats why I'm starting to wonder if some of the cheaper bulbs actually may work better than the expensive OEM ones.

6. magruder

magruder Average Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Update, my $15/each bulbs are still going strong! I think I have about 3k on them now.

Regards,
    Dave

7. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Hee Hee!... Too funny!

Its great to get one up on the man! :D :rockon:

8. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    im back

56000 miles. left headlight still intermittently turns off, requiring the lights to be
    manually turned off and on again to refire

i went to the dealer today, he seemed to want 130 for a diagnostic up to $200 to replace the bulb. i went to the service area and spoke to a prius tech and he seemed to
    want the bulb replaced to. i called toyota corporate today and got an official case # so im waiting for someone or "heather" to call me back. i hear heather is someone who a lot of people with hid problems have heard from.

there was a post that mentions T-SB-0030-08 "HID Headlight System - Diagnostic Tips" where is the actual file/attachment?

im confused about "end of life signs". and "cycling" . it seems to imply that during the end of the life of the HID bulb it is supposed to turn off, cool down , and then turn itself on ??? for the last 6000 miles this has never been observed. it just turns off and i can
    turn it back on and it instantly turns on with no waiting.

i read another thread about turning the high beam on? what does this accomplish?

i asked bluntly what are you going to do to diagnose this problem? what does it involve? and he wouldn't answer my question and i explained to him the only way to properly diagnose this is to keep this car for a month

9. billhrsn

billhrsn New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2001 is just turning 200k. The driver's side just went out, low beam only. Bulb was $18.00. Now, how do I put it in? I can either remove the assembly (there must be a fastener hidden under the bumper cover) or remove the windshield washer fluid top filler tube (one clip, don't want to break it). If anyone can give a tip on this, I can swap info on my model and expenses you can expect on a 9 year old. Hint: the cat has platinum in it.

10. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There is still confusion on the high/low beam issue. This thread seems to be talking about both HID "same single bulb for high and low beam" and also Halogen "which has two separate filaments for low and High beam".

I too get frustrated at those diagnostic instructions.. it sounds like someone babbled something to a secretary and she typed it up and no one checked behind them.

Just replace your bulb and you'll be fixed.
    You can either haggle with the dealer or do it yourself with online bulbs for 69.00 for both bulbs together... either way works.

11. billhrsn

billhrsn New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Update: I removed the windshield washer fluid top tube without breaking the clip (used a flat screwdriver to pry it out). Unplugged the marker light to get more room for my hand. Grasped light connection and pulled it straight back. Grasped the ear (there are two) on the boot and wiggled it out. It is flexible. The spring has a folded over end you can feel if you can't see with a flashlight. I pulled it up out of its slot and the other end stayed in place.The bulb came out freely. I reversed the process with the new bulb, a Sylvania 9003/HB2 standard, $18 at Advance. I replaced the marker bulb while I was at it, a 194 spade bulb.

Reading dozens of posts from pissed Prius pilots: 45 minutes
    Changing the bulb with advanced warning: 15 minutes
    Knowing this may give others courage to do it: priceless

12. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Good job Bill and welcome to the forum.....

Sounds like you did the "Halogen" replacement as you have a 2001 prius.

Not to be confused with the HID replacement.

I agree, its easier to have someone else do it, but what I do know about cars is because I didn't always have the money to have someone else do it, so I just had to tear into it and usually could figure it out.. "barring internal engine stuff"

Most things are intimidating until you just face them and try... This stuff is no different and it brings great satisfaction to know you can tackle this simple "maintenance" issue that will pop up again.

But if this is your first time.. sounds like you went quite the distance since 2001 before you had problems!

13. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Just wanted to dial in and see if the 2009 will have the same problem.
    Was anyone able to just find a cheaper bulb and install it and it work without all this rewiring stuff?

Also, how long is this covered under warranty?:D

great song " how long, has this been going on":violin:

BTW/ the high beams on this suck big time.

14. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I am not aware of any rewiring needs or issues with the HID bulbs. There is not for the 2006 at least. All you need is another bulb if this issue crops up. There are instructions as to how to install Here on PC is needed.

Bulbs are presently avail for 69.00 for "both" on ebay... some have reported cheaper.

Some thoughts:
    I don't really think this is typical for all HID's as many HID equipped cars don't have this issue,

However, I think its either a bad lot "allot in a bad lot! LOL!" or a mismatch of ballasts specs with the give bulb assigned to it..... at least IMO

Problem is.. there is always a lag time between spec changes and when those changes actually happens barring a recall to "undo" that which was done.

Toyota seems to have woke up and realized the problem somewhere around the beginning of 08 "before they started admitting it", so hopefully your good.

On the other hand... they totally discontinued HID for 2010 and later and went back to Halogen..... so what gives?

Is answer to your question, is don't know.... "I hope not".

15. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Love this forum, but I have to find a time to drag my wife to Star Trek. Looks like moms day out to dinner takes priority today.

16. javadanno

javadanno Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My 2007 Prius (Touring) started having problems with a winking headlight at about 56000 miles and two years. The first thing I did was look on line for information and I have filed a safety complaint with the NHSTA. Headlight bulbs should last longer than two years especially when they cost 157 dollar each. That is what I paid at the local Leesburg VA Toyota dealer. I've owned about 12 cars in my lifetime and only had to replace a headlight bulb once before and that was after about seven years (1990 Nissan Sentra). Anyway, I bought a Haynes Manual (Maintenance manual) for 20 dollars and followed the instructions on bulb replacement. It took me an hour and 15 minutes to do the job. The only problem I encountered was space. I couldn't get my hands in there so I had to remove the windshield fluid reservoir.

17. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sounds like you have a good dealer, the usually gouge worse than that by far.

At any rate, for those of us who have done it on own own, I personally also found removing the reservoir was best.
    Can you copy and paste those instructions?
    Or at least post some suggestions that adds to whats already been posted?

It would be good to see if they do anything easier than whats already been discussed.
    It sounds like those must be good instructions...... as some have suggested to go as far as removing the bumper etc... we need all the practice remedies we can get.

18. javadanno

javadanno Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Headlight bulb replacement:

1. Remove the grille protector/radiator cover. There are several fasteners but they come off easily.
    2. Remove the piece of the air intake (passenger side). It looks sort of like a snorkel and the opening faces rearward. It has one fastener holding it in place.
    3. Remove the windshield wiper fluid reservoir. To remove the reservoir you have to disconnect two electrical connections and two small hoses located on the front and bottom of the reservoir. A small wiring harness has to be removed from one side of the tank. This wiring harness appears to connect to an AC part. Remove this connection as well to improve access. There is a small clip on the opposite of the tank from the wiring harness that connects to the body. Unclip this. The last fastener is a nut located directly behind the tank but in plain view. Remove it. At this point remove the reservoir. It will take some maneuvering to get it out.
    4. Remove the electrical connection from the headlight main beam. It connects to the main beam housing on the bottom right side of the housing.
    5. Remove the headlight main beam cover by turning the cover counter-clockwise. The cover has tabs on it and it turns easily. Once the cover is loose, you can move it out of the way. There is an internal electrical connection to the cover so you can't remove it completely but you can move it far enough out of the way.
    6. Remove the electrical connection from the headlight main beam bulb. This connection has a metal cover but turns easily. Disconnect it and move it out of the way.
    7. Remove the bulb retaining clip. It also cannot be completely removed. It is connected to the housing below the bulb. The clip has tabs to help facilitate releasing the clip. I could not see directly what it looked like because I couldn't get my big head in there with my big hands so I just had to feel around. On each side of the bulb I pressed the tab towards the bulb and slightly to the front to release tension and the clip. Do this on both sides of the bulb.
    8. Remove the bulb and replace with a new one. This part was easy.
    9. Perform steps 7 through 1 to fasten the bulb in place and close everything up.

I hope this helps.

Cheers.

19. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Interesting that it had you remove the radiator grill.

20. magruder

magruder Average Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The instructions I found also recommended removing that radiator cover. I don't know if that is necessary, as my cover was removed and tossed before I bought the car.

Regards,
    Dave