1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Headlight Tab Repair

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Frontporch, Jun 3, 2022.

1. Frontporch

Frontporch Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Anyone attempt to fix their broken headlight tab with a plastic replacement part? I am thinking not too many people outside of body shops know this is a thing.

Seems as though the dealer actually sells the part. That caught me off guard. And... there is a company out there that 3D prints and sells parts and instructions to fix headlight mounting tabs. That company only sold for "American" makes, but its pretty cool that a business was created for that.

I need to pull off my bumper and free the headlight next week. Depending on its condition, I may attempt this fix. I noticed the headlight in question was also missing the waterproof seal by the halogen bulb. Another dealer part is available for that.

I would probably try to epoxy fix the headlight, but the tab is completely gone. Looks like the previous owner had a detail disoriented auto body repair done. The body lines between the hood and fenders are all off as well, and I will try to even things up as best I can.

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Which tab are you referring to? My guess is the metal tab that bolts to the bottom of the headlight that helps hold the bumper cover in place? But there are other tabs?

3. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I've done the repair on tabs many times. I'd use a piece of thin aluminum and punch two holes in it - one for the mounting screw ad another to help the epoxy lock into the piece like a rivet. JB Weld is my go to epoxy for this purpose. Spread it over a sizeable surface area for strength.

4. Frontporch

Frontporch Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    8119347020 is the part number

5. Frontporch

Frontporch Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    going to revive this as I attempt to put in the OEM part to repair the tab.

PriusCamper likes this.
  6. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    How do so many tabs get broken? I've probably removed a 100+ headlights from Gen 2s. No broken mounting tabs.......

7. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Usually the first time you do it is when that happens. Once you learn how they mount, busting them is easy to avoid.

8. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hell, I thought everyone watches a youtube video before doing a job nowadays, lol..

I don't go into any job unprepared now. Always watch a video or two just to make sure I know about any hidden bolts, techniques, access points, tricks, etc. Research wins the game.....

9. Frontporch

Frontporch Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I got the car with the rear headlight tab broken off. Car was definitely in an accident and i assume that the body shop didn't bother to repair the headlight. it appears water tight, so I kept it.. They didn't even put back on the rubber boot by the bulb and the bulb was out. I ordered both of those parts from a dealer. Boot has been on, with a new bulb and the tab repair is next

10. Frontporch

Frontporch Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like I need to remove the plastic that is “highlighted”by a silver sharpie

image.jpg

11. Frontporch

Frontporch Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is what it looks like with the material removed. Was a little bit of a chore but the plastic was soft and I used a oscillation inch saw to get close and some cacti blades to make it almost perfect

Attached Files:

12. Frontporch

Frontporch Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Final pictures. The fit was good!

image.jpg

image.jpg