1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Headlight upgrade options

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by LDB, Sep 19, 2015.

1. LDB

LDB Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I know there are some good HID options that as I understand it are now reasonably priced in the $150-200 range. I rarely drive at night, perhaps a couple times a month after a radio meeting or something. I haven't driven at night yet but I'm sure I'll want better than stock lighting, just as I have on prior cars. I've never done anything about it before but want to with this car. So, my question is about replacement bulbs that would just swap out with what's in there now at hopefully a cost of $25-50 for a pair. Any and all input are appreciated.

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm happy with the H9 bulb upgrade (link in my signature below) on our Prius. Minimal modification needed to the H9 bulbs for 150% more light, at about $20 per pair of bulbs (Osram or Philips).

I'm also happy with the OPT7 35w H11 AC HID kit I have in my Camry. I did block the squirrel finder cutouts to keep glare down to a minimum. Toyota projectors have cutouts in the cutoff shields that allow light to shine out high, above the cutoffs, to illuminate overhead road signs, but the bright HIDs will cause uncomfortable glare to oncoming drivers if these openings aren't blocked.

#2 xliderider, Sep 19, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  3. Ben2jz

Ben2jz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Upgrade the bulbs like mention above. If you have fog light, upgrade them too. But investing in a HID kit will yield the most for your money. DDM Tuning has cheap kit with lifetime warranty. Customers service is not bad. I deal with them in person as they are close by. Only had trouble with the bulb not matching color after a year or so. Was given a pair. I have bought maybe 8 kit from them for myself and friends out of state. No complaints.

xliderider, can you go into depth how you blocked off the shield? Did you have to disaseble the headlight? I notice this on my "v" and I thought about a real retrofit to avoid conflicts with people but if it can be done easily and quick, I would love to keep the factory as the are pretty good.

#3 Ben2jz, Sep 23, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There's a thread on Toyotanation in the Camry forum that details how to block the cutouts.

It basically involves removing the front bumper cover, then remove the headlight housings. Remove the bulbs and reaching in through the bulb sockets, CAREFULLY and SLOWLY bend the part of the shield that conceals the cutouts up. Then take a small piece of aluminum (thin flashing material or cut up soda can) and glue it over the cutouts with JB Weld. Bend the tabs back down and reassemble the headlights and bumper cover. Let the JB Weld dry at least 12 hours before using your lights.

No more stray light above cutoffs, and no difficulty seeing road signs.

#4 xliderider, Sep 23, 2015
  5. Ben2jz

Ben2jz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Nice! I guess I have somethings to do this weekend. Thanks.

6. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I can't find the thread where this detailed information came from, but here's the information, in a little more detail:

MobileHID 5000K kit installed (UPDATE: night shots up) - Page 2 - Scionlife.com

I didn't use double stick tape, I used the end of disposable chopsticks with JB Weld on it to hold my small piece of aluminum on with JB Weld smeared on the front side (so yes, JB Weld on both sides of the aluminum piece). Once the piece is placed over the cutout, be sure to push it up all the way toward the top of the cutout and smear extra JB Weld over the top edge, or you might end up with a slight sliver of light escaping above the cutoffs.

7. Ben2jz

Ben2jz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    #7 Ben2jz, Sep 23, 2015
  8. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, good links, here's a link directly to post #15:

NASIOC - View Single Post - Squirrel finder mod?

Don't use aluminum tape, the adhesive will not hold at high temperatures.

I have a bit of light leaking out still from the cutouts, but have been too lazy to take everything apart again to put more JB Weld to cover the small slots remaining. Looks like the passenger side light leakage in the second link posted in previous post above.

#8 xliderider, Sep 23, 2015
  9. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I don't think a discussion about mitigating the squirrel finder cutouts is too off topic. It addresses a problem with putting in really bright HIDs into the stock projectors (glare) that is annoying and dangerous to other drivers.

10. Ben2jz

Ben2jz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    #10 Ben2jz, Sep 23, 2015
  11. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah, that's the thread, with good pictures from LNGasman. FYI, the flap over the cutouts was more extensive on my Camry, but it could still be bent up to expose the cutout.