1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Headlight upgrade - recomendations?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Steelerfan2018, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Steelerfan2018

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi all,
    I have a 2008 and was thinking about upgrading the headlights. Anyone have any recommendations? Anything to avoid?

To be clear - I just want to upgrade the actual bulb, not the whole headlight assembly.

Thanks,
    Rob

2. mpg_numbers_guy

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Does your Prius have HIDs or regular halogens? Fog lights?

Looking to upgrade the lights on the 08 Prius as well...low beams aren't bad but high beams aren't that much brighter (HIDs). Recently upgraded the lights on my Insight with some high quality LEDs that project very well without blinding other drivers, but I'm not too sure if similar headlights would fit in the HID ballasts here.

3. Steelerfan2018

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for the prompt reply. No idea on what my headlights are - have never checked. No clue on what a HID is - could use some help on this. My headlights are doing what you describe - OK on low beams are sorta OK - high beams are weak. When it stops freezing I am going to buff out the plastic headlight cover since they are foggy.

Rob

4. mpg_numbers_guy

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    HID lenses have a slight blue tint on the edge of the housing, and the light output will appear very white or slightly blue. Regular halogens have a more yellowish-white color and the headlight housings have no slight blue tint on the edge of the housing.

I think if your car is a Touring or has Package 5 it has HIDs.

Cleaning the headlights helped some on light output, both on the Prius and the Insight.

5. Graeme1949

Graeme1949 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you have HID lights you will see some "HIGH VOLTAGE" warnings under the hood. Near the lights, at the front. I worked in electronics for 30+ years, & I've never messed with the HID lights in my 2004.

-Graeme-
    2004 Prius with >190,000 miles.
    Sent ?.