1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

headlight use prevent WS on Gen 3??

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by tedjohnson, Jan 20, 2012.

1. tedjohnson

tedjohnson Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Has anyone noticed that they can not enter warp stealth ( >45 mph and 992 rpm and 0 hp) when the headlights are on , or is it just my Prius . I have tried turning all climate functions off, engine at 190, vehicle running at 55 mph, and its easy to jump into WS in the daytime , but impossible at night .

2. Sabby

Sabby Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have not noticed this but it may be that I have not watched that closely. Any chance your SOC was low which precluded the warp stealth and the lights being on just added to the condition?

3. tedjohnson

tedjohnson Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    No , SOC always hangs at 80%. I thought of that variable as well, but no correlation. Thanks.

4. Sabby

Sabby Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In my car I rarely see SOC over 60% and few times have seen bars over 7. I will keep an eye out on my scan gauge the next time I have the lights on and have an opportunity to warp stealth. With the winds we have had lately the opportunities have been sparse.

5. robby3

robby3 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    No, everything is fine. But my Prius has the LED headlights.

6. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What is the ambient temperature difference between day and night? Have you observed the engine temp during these times when you cannot enter WS?

In the winter I have a difficult time keeping the engine off during a long decent due to engine temp dropping too fast. When temps are in the 70s or more I have no problem keeping the engine off provided my SOC stays above 57.5% on my GenII.

7. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    it may be the case since the A/C seems to do the same thing.

BTW after getting LRR tires mine seems to go electric at higher then 45MPH speeds on flats, so it would make sense if it goes by battery drain.

8. tedjohnson

tedjohnson Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Well so far I have ruled out the headlights, the climate control system, the engine temperature , the temperature outside, the battery SOC, and the time the engine has been on. What else is left that would prevent going into a warp stealth state, where the engine turns but does not burn gas? I can drive for a few hours on a trip and have warp stealth work every time, then on another trip I can not get into that state for hours , with no good reason. I run a regular 2 hour trip over the same roads and sometimes it works fine and sometimes it is impossible to get into that state. You need a scanguage to tell the difference , the HSI reads 99 mpg in any case, but in the Warp Stealth situation the engine is putting out 0 hp and the other its putting out 5-7 hp. It makes a difference in the actual mpg that accumulates. BTW going into neutral to coast uses more gas then warp stealth...

9. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    On my GenII I noticed that I couldn't enter warp stealth one day so I turned off the cruise control (it wasn't active at the time) so that the light went out and then I could enter warp stealth. It may have been a coincidence but you might want to rule that out.

I have a very long downhill section of freeway on my evening commute. In warp stealth I get "infinite" mpg (9999) and if I switch it into neutral I get 300-350mpg.

1 person likes this.
  10. tedjohnson

tedjohnson Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I have never used cruise control, so that is not the factor. Can't imagine what is left to affect it so. Yes , your data makes sense. How did you instrument the MPG to get those readings ? Thanks. Ted

11. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Scangauge II. :)

On really long hills you may run down the SOC to the point the engine comes on. This will drop mpg down to 100-150mpg if you continue to try and warp stealth despite the engine being on. If you let regen kick in then you lose a lot of momentum so depending on the road situation you may decide instead to use neutral so you can keep up your momentum for the next hill ahead. I'm not really sure what the best choice is.

12. tedjohnson

tedjohnson Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    SOC does not matter at all, I have had WS denied when the battery was to the top bar. There is some other factor that prevents WS and whatever it is it acts over long time periods like an hour or so. Very confusing as the same road and same time might one day drop right into WS and stay there available for hours and other days it is denied for hours. Even Bob has written "it has a mind of its own", but it's just a programmed lockout that must have do do with something, EGR function? what?