1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Headlights affect on fuel mileage?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by likesmpg, Aug 23, 2007.

1. brad34695

brad34695 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tekn0wledg @ Aug 24 2007, 09:37 AM) [snapback]501503[/snapback]</div>

When sitting at a read light, I put the car in "Park". That comes from all my years driving a 5 speed and not liking/or used to having my foot on the brake for an extended period of time. As far as my turn signal statement, again if I am sitting in the right lane at a red light I will only turn them on when the light turns green. Having them "blink" for 60 seconds while be stopped at a red light doesn't accomplish anything in my humble opinion.

2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Aug 25 2007, 03:18 PM) [snapback]501916[/snapback]</div>
    The standard headlights are only 60 watts each on high beam so only 120 watts plus a few low watt globes in park and tail lights.
    That's fine if you are in a left turn lane or there are filter lights, otherwise the person who is going straight but pulls up behind you when you're turning but your indicator is off until the light goes green might disagree.

3. geodosch

geodosch Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brad34695 @ Aug 25 2007, 12:16 PM) [snapback]501996[/snapback]</div>
    What it does is let the other drivers know your intentions. Just because you're waiting in a 'only' lane, where you must turn right or left, other drivers 1) may not be able to tell from across the intersection that it's a turning-only lane, and 2) it's not unheard of that a car goes straight in a turning lane. It confirms to the other drivers what you are going to do.

It's the same as drivers who don't turn on their headlights when it's dusk, raining, foggy, etc. They think that just because they don't need them to see where they're going they don't need to turn them on.

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    putting the car in park at a stoplight may not be a great idea. if you get rear ended while waiting at a red light, if the impact is hard enough, it might snap the parking pawl and you'd go shooting out into crossing traffic...

5. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brad34695 @ Aug 25 2007, 09:16 AM) [snapback]501996[/snapback]</div>

Boy I'm glad I don't live in Tampa!

Perhaps the people coming up behind you at the light might like to know what you are GOING to do. Perhaps the pedestrians who are about to cross would like to know! I know now why Florida roads have skid marks all over the place. I had always blamed it on "seniors"!

Having them blink doesn't hurt anything either,,,excecpt to relieve the aggrivation of other drivers.

Sorry if I offend, but one humble opinion,

Icarus