1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Headlights burn out to fast

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Ron C, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Ron C

Ron C Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My headlights burn out about twice a year (both sides at different times)

I have a 2008, is anyone else having this problem?

I have been using higher end bulbs because I live in Alaska and need bright lights to look out for Moose in the road, but wondering if might be better off with cheaper bulbs? using Sylvania bulbs for the most part.

I have read people say they are having better luck with the Toyota factory bulbs, anyone have experience with factory bulbs? are they better? don't remember having problems with bulbs burning out when I had the original bulbs.

I drive with my lights on and probably 25,000 a year.

any advise?

2. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    A candle that burns twice as bright burns half as long.

Sylvania silverstars have been a popular upgrade on some of the motorcycle forums I'm been a part of but many have reported short life.

Many motorcycles also suffer from problems with voltage regulation due to simplistic or poorly built regulator/rectifiers. Undercharging/low voltage leads to dead batteries but overcharging can burn things up. Bulbs getting brighter and blowing is a sign of the latter. I have not heard of a Prius having this issue but monitoring the 12v battery while the car is in operation could tell you if things are amiss.

FWIW

epoch_time likes this.
  3. epoch_time

epoch_time Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes the brighter the incandescant bulb the sooner they burn out.. I still have orignal toyota headlight bulbs in my 2009 gen II prius with 76000 miles.
    As Fotomoto suggests. A voltage check would be wise..

With a fully charged 12 volt battery system voltage (prius ready) gen II should be 13.2-13.8 volts. If 12 volt battery is not fully charged the voltage can be as high as 14.3 volts...Running at 14.3 volts the 12 volt battery is taking over 40 amp charge (not healthy for battery) but will be 90% charged at 45 minutes where the charge voltage (system voltage) should drop to 13.8 volts.

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Silverstars suck. There very bright but don't last long & changing the headlight bulbs are no fun on a G2 Prius. Buy the original factory bulbs. There very bright and last for years.

Buy them online there very cheap.

5. Ron C

Ron C Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I think I might try the originals next time.

I've had other people say this too.

6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah I went back to the originals. They work great and are very bright. I re-bulbed the whole car. Good for a few years.

7. AceDeuceCoupe

AceDeuceCoupe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I know it's old thread, but can you help newbie with how to "buy them online"?

8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Google Olathe Toyota parts

Raytheeagle likes this.