1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Headlights/Foglights

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Actual Mileage, Oct 30, 2006.

1. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Got the replacement ballast yesterday, their shop was 2.5 miles from where I had to go yesterday so I stopped in and got a new one. Installed it and it worked perfectly. My HIDS are now done and looking good. I will post the pictures as soon as I get a chance.

2. Actual Mileage

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jbarnhart @ Nov 13 2006, 01:22 AM) [snapback]348069[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, he's a black lab.
    That is Cash - our little man in black.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cairo94507 @ Nov 14 2006, 09:01 AM) [snapback]348651[/snapback]</div>

If I do it myself - how much does it cost to replace the halogens with HID?

3. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :) Update to my posts of Oct 31 and Nov 2...

HID Headlights: ... are truly GREAT to illuminate the periphery of the street or road. They make it easy to see curbs and the highway 'side striping' and are noticeably better than the Halogens on my traded 2004. So far, in my night driving no one has 'flashed' be for blinding oncoming traffic so they must be aimed properly.

Fog Lights: While the fog lights are more decorative than useful, mine DO light the road just in front of my bumper and could be useful in a thick fog [rare for North Texas]. Another problem is that with the HID headlights on, the brilliant white light would so make the fog glare than no lights, including the fogs, would be of much practical use. I do note that the fog lights will not light when you use high beam on the HID's. Another negative: There is no D-I-Y instruction for changing the fog light bulbs in the Manual, just a comment to "see your dealer."

4. knoto

knoto New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ Nov 14 2006, 06:51 PM) [snapback]349098[/snapback]</div>

Charles,

At least when I saw my dealer about replacing fog lights, the price was $250.00 USD per light! Needless to say, I can live without working fog lights at that cost!

Kelly

5. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(knoto @ Nov 21 2006, 12:38 PM) [snapback]352559[/snapback]</div>
    I've seen instructions on replacing the bulbs here, perhaps search for silverstar. It didn't seem that involved, and if I remember right, the bulb is some standard inexpensive bulb.

6. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :eek: Quote knoto: "the price was $250.00 USD per light!"

Now, that is ABSURD!! I haven't explored for a D-I-Y thread on replaceing the Foglight bulbs myself, but seems like I did see somewhere that you had to remove the front bumper cover to get at them. With my Touring Edition being brand new, fog light buib replacement has not become an issue yet. I have considered replacing the OEM bulbs with silverstars for the blue-white color as opposed to the amber 'flavored' look of the OEMs when compared to the HID headlights.

:) Beryl... Thanks for your hint on where to find instructions. OCTET? Are you one of eight voices in a vocal or instrumental performing group?

7. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ Nov 14 2006, 02:51 PM) [snapback]349098[/snapback]</div>
    It's worse than that even. They say "Do not replace the front fog light bulbs by yourself. You may damage the vehicle."

The only cautions mentioned in the Repair information on lighting indcates to not touch with your fingers, scratch or drop the bulbs. Fog lamp unit replacement doesn't look dangerous, although it does require removal of front fender liners, removal of front bumper cover and removal of lower radiator grills. I don't know if there's anything about disconnecting the battery to prevent damage, but if there is it isn't indicated in that part of the manual.

Who knows what could be dangerous to your car?

Dave M.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(knoto @ Nov 21 2006, 09:38 AM) [snapback]352559[/snapback]</div>
    I'm curious as to how much of that cost is for the bulb and how much is labor.

Dave M.

8. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Anybody know the proper procedure for checking if the HIDs are properly aimed?? I've measured it so far by walking 20 paces out in front of the car and checking to see how low the lights are aimed, and then comparing to a friend's Fit; similiar aim.

However, I still feel they're aimed too low because at night they're barely light up a car's license plate from 3 seconds or so behind, compared to other HID cars such as the G35, or SUVs.

9. fphinney

fphinney Member

I've changed the bulbs in my '06 (pkg 8) Prius twice. In my experience, you do NOT have to take off the front bumper! What I did, was to raise the front of the car & put it on some blocks. Then remove the plastic panel directly below the back of the foglights. I think there are 5 attachment points on each. The bulbs come out easily, IF you can break the code on how to remove the bulb harness from the bulbs first. It looked like there was not enough room to twist them out with the harness attached.

Yes, you need to exercise great care to not leave finger prints on these high-temperature bulbs. That tends to shorten their life considerably.

If you are putting in different bulbs, carefully compare the three "teeth" on the mounting flange. You may have to carve a little bit off the center tooth, so it matches the original. Otherwise, you will fight a losing battle. This is where a "Dremel" tool sure comes in handy!

10. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The only reason I removed the front bumper was to install the HID fog light kit. If all I was doing was swapping out bulbs, go through the bottom after jacking the car up and removing the bottom belly-pan directly underneath and behind the front bumper. Probably 15 minutes total.

11. davidandjodi

davidandjodi New Member

:) Not everyone can remember the Tucker! [1948 was so long ago] I seem to recall someone selling after-market mod for the 1949 Ford to replace that centre bullethead with a swivellling light???

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Oct 30 2006, 05:22 PM) [snapback]340863[/snapback]</div>

I remember when fog light-equipped cars were wired with the parking lights so that headlights could not be used with the fog lights.... (Parking lights, of course, were necessary so the taillights would be on.)

I saw an old discussion about correcting the "fog" lamps into daylight running lights.... Anything current on this?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Actual Mileage @ Oct 30 2006, 03:29 PM) [snapback]340765[/snapback]</div>