1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Headlights Low Beams Out??? Help!?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by bighouse, Nov 3, 2015.

1. bighouse

bighouse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I noticed tonight that my low beams are both out, and they were both working yesterday. Fuse #19, a 40A in a cluster of two 30A fuses appears fine when I look at it AND my horn and backup lights work just fine too. In the owner's manual it say that fuse position #19 controls the low beams and the horn (which is working) and the backup lights. SO, that says to me the fuse is ok because the other items are working.

FWIW, I can use the high beams, but recognize they're on a different fuse anyway. Also, I replaced BOTH headlamps with new Sylvania bulbs about 6 months ago when one of them went out. Could both low beam headlamps have burned out at the same time???? Is there some other fuse that controls them both other than the #19 fuse inside the engine compartment?

Could this also be a problem in the control stalk switch on the steering console?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what are they, halogen?

3. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I always change headlamp bulbs in pairs since they're subject to the same loads/stress/etc. In my 50+ years of motoring I've noticed that often with headlamps, if one side fails, invariable within a month or so, the other one also fails. (…but YMMV) :cautious: o_O ;)

4. bighouse

bighouse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I replaced both bulbs within the last year after one of them went out. They are hid.

5. bighouse

bighouse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Both lamps were replaced at the same time with Sylvania X11 lamps.

6. bighouse

bighouse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Wow....just called my local Toyota dealers service department to see about getting them to replace my headlamps and they would be happy to schedule an appointment for that...in about two weeks!!!!! They expect someone to drive a car without headlights for two weeks???

Guess I'll just do it myself again and hope it's burned out bulbs again and not something else.

7. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Sounds like a relay to me.

8. davroxxx

davroxxx New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Where was the fuse in the fuse box in the engine compartment or in underneath the steering wheel?