1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Headlights not showing wide field of view

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Andrew19, Feb 10, 2022.

1. Andrew19

Andrew19 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Since I have started driving my 2010 Prius, I have noticed that it is very difficult to see at night, especially when turning. I just replaced the bulbs in the headlights but that didn’t seem to fix the issue. I believe the main problem is the field of view is so narrow, that it’s extremely hard to see to the side, so this makes turning (especially on sharp turns) hard to see because the headlights only see forward, not to the side. And there isn’t any fog lights to light up the side. I don’t know what to do. Maybe I have to just get use to it.

2. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Probably.

Any chance that you are developing cataracts ?
    That cuts down on night vision.

So does aftermarket tint on the windows.

With a 12 year old car, any indication that the headlight lenses are "yellowing" or are scuffed ?
    Reflectors losing some of their shine ?

If that model has a "cutout" for fog lights, maybe some could be put in those spaces that would come on with the headlights all the time.

3. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Could be a combination of things like what kind of bulb/wattage did you use or maybe the lenses are faded.

You could also look on ebay for an aftermarket fog light kit.
    Easy to install and about $45-50 that is what I did.

4. Andrew19

Andrew19 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    would this be the one you’re talking about? I want to make sure I get the right thing.
    For 2010-2011 Toyota Prius PAIR Fog Lights Bumper Lamps Wiring Switch Kit | eBay

5. Noahdoge

Noahdoge Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Youtube “how to adjust headlights on prius” or look into the h9 conversion.

6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you comparing to other recent cars with better lights? When new, this model had quite reasonable lights for its era, and far better than what I was driving in the 20th Century. The bar on performance keeps rising, so it is behind the times now.

Or does it seem to have some form of age or other degradation? A picture of the pattern against a wall at night might help reveal some problems.

7. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The actual foglights in those kits are terrible though. They throw light everywhere and create glare that other people have to deal with.

I used the wiring and foglight shrouds from a kit like that, then installed LED foglights that have better cutoffs to prevent glare. Something like these.

PAIR CLEAR BRIGHT LED FOG LIGHTS FOR LEXUS TOYOTA 81210-48050 81220-48050 | eBay

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.