1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Headlights Not turning off when car is powered down?

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by koipond, Nov 13, 2012.

1. koipond

koipond Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Hi all,

I have a Toyota Tacoma 2006 which lacks all the gadgetry and techno-wizardry of the Prius C model three (which I just purchased). Yet the moment I lock the truck with the key fob, if the headlights were left on they turn off instantly, allowing me to walk away with peace of mind that I won't return to a drained battery. I love this feature on my Tacoma because I can leave my lights on pretty much all the time which allows me to pull out of the lighted parking garage in the evening without driving for multiple city blocks unaware that my lights are off.

My issue: I just bought the Prius C to help more efficiently consume gas during my 60 mile commute, and I'm surprised to discover that the headlights just remain on even when turning off the car and engaging the locks/alarm.

Someone told me that they supposedly go off after 20 minutes but I'm not comfortable walking away from the vehicle and trusting that this will happen.

Is there a way to ensure that the headlights go off when the car is powered off and the locks/security system is activated? If there's a "window" of time that it takes, can this be adjusted?

Thanks for your feedback!

Dave :)

BTW, averaging over 50 MPG each way to work despite the "47 MPG HWY" EPA estimate... Woohoo!

2. born_again

born_again Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I just tried on my C. Lights stay on. But as soon as I open the door to get out, I hear a non-stop beep and a warning triangle lights up in the dash. I guess that's the high tech nature of the C. :)

3. TC400

TC400 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Right it will beep at you when you leave your lights on and open the door. A lot of cars do that. I was used to my Jimmy automatically turning off the lights when i shut the car off. It will become second nature to turn off the lights.

4. koipond

koipond Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I did a test tonight and verified that the lights do auto-turn-off after 20 mins. But this isn't the "solution" I was hoping for... I'd like to be able to leave them on and have the car auto-turn-off the headlamps (and tail-lights) when it powers down. that way they'll be on when I start the car again as well.

5. Ashley7

Ashley7 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    The c does not have auto headlights. It just doesn't. The DRLs turn off automatically when you shut the car down, so many choose to leave those on all the time, but you have to turn the headlights off yourself (or wait 20 minutes...which I wouldn't suggest, if only to save you from neighbors "alerting" you that you left your lights on :) )

6. born_again

born_again Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    C'mon, it's not that difficult. Don't be so lazy.

7. koipond

koipond Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    it's not about being lazy. It's about wanting to make sure my lights are always on so when I leave the parking lot from work at night in a well-lit street, I won't accidentally drive at night not realizing that my lights are off. Just safer to leave them on continually as I do in the truck.

8. Mik1

Mik1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Surf this chat. There is one guy who did installation of auto lights off on his own. The process takes tame but description was very good. I was thinking about it, but then I just though I will be fine with doing this kind of stuff manually. Good luck.

9. Ashley7

Ashley7 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Leave the DRLs on. Those are automatic, and you at least have the safety of other people being able to see you, even if they aren't lighting your path enough to safely drive. It gives you time to remember to turn on your headlights, while still being visible. (And after you get used to it, you won't forget to turn the headlights on very often.)

10. RocMills

RocMills Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I leave my DRLs on all the time. When I drive at night, I simply look to see if the green "lights on" indicator is lit or not - if it isn't, it reminds me to turn the headlights on. Not a big deal. I would think the lack of front illumination would alert anyone in a dark area that their headlights are not on.

11. TC400

TC400 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    For me DRLs stay OFF unless need to be on construction or what have you. It's daytime IMO other cars can see me I can see them not a big deal.

12. RocMills

RocMills Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I leave mine on all the time because much of my driving is done during that grey period of early morning and late evening. Better safe than sorry.

13. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Around here, there are many types of adverse lighting conditions that hamper instant visibility even during daylight. DRLs help, so mine stay ON. The older car, with auto-off but not DRL, has had its headlights turned on full time for fifteen years.

Maybe my rapidly aging eyes (the optometrist just warned that I'll need cataract surgery at a younger age than normal) are making me more aware of the vagaries of human vision.

RocMills likes this.
  14. TC400

TC400 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three

Wow what kind of conditions do you experiene during the day that DRLs are needed?

15. Ashley7

Ashley7 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I leave mine on all the time too. It's not necessary during the day (though I also often drive during the grey hours), but it certainly doesn't hurt either.

RocMills likes this.
  16. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Some states require headlights (or DRLs) during rain. Canada and Europe require DRLs on all new cars.

See Daytime Running Lamp for more discussion. My climate has many similarities to the Scandinavian regions that invented and first required DRLs.

We have many weather and lighting conditions where numerous car colors do not contrast well against the either the road or overcast sky. Add in rain, or sidespray from trucks or other cars, and visibility is hampered. Drive directly into low angle sun, and the glare hampers everyone's vision, not just those of us with aging eyes that don't do as well in low contrast conditions. Bright sunlight on even a slightly dirty or wet windshield creates significant interference and visual noise, especially when the target is in shadow. Low signal-to-noise ratio always slows recognition speed, in both humans and in measurement systems. A picket fence effect, caused by repeating tree shadows one's own windshield, is especially bad.

RocMills likes this.
  17. RocMills

RocMills Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Dim lighting. A car colored close to the color of the street. I drove a grey car for 10 years, and DRLs were a must for me. At least half of my driving is done during times of day or evening when anything but the brightest of cars might be lost... DRLs are a good thing, no matter how you look at it.

18. dick_larimore

dick_larimore Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Unfortunately, daylight running lights are needed. There is a large population of drivers that are, as I describe, "zoned out". They are distracted with passenger conversation, stress, cell phones, texting, music, etc and they do not see you. Any aid that will draw attention to your presence is a plus.

RocMills likes this.
  19. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Anytime I drive where others are on the road with me.
    There's a REASON that motorcycles are required by law to have headlights on when they're on the road.....day or night and that reason has nothing to do with the weather or the rider's ability to see the road.
    Despite this????
    Motorcycle headlamp modulators are still an attractive option for some....as well as significantly louder-than-OEM exhaust systems.
    It's because drivers....especially American drivers (!!) are morons.

Let's face it.....Priuses aren't exactly big cars. The C-model isn't exactly a big Prius.

I'd use all the lights I could...all the time if it were me. ;)

20. ewaboy

ewaboy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    +1 to all who say DRLs are necessary. I drove a white Prizm for many years - white cars under certain lighting conditions are difficult to see. I want to be able to see others and I sure as heck want them to see me.

YMMV

RocMills likes this.