1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Headlights Question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by prius2006rocks, Oct 22, 2007.

1. prius2006rocks

prius2006rocks New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have an 06 fully loaded Prius. Is there a specific reason why there is no automatic light feature? My old Chevy Blazer had it, as does my brothers 07 Camry... Just curious. Is it because of the HID headlamps? Thanks a lot.

[email protected] if you can E-Mail, otherwise please post here if you can help. :)

2. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prius2006rocks @ Oct 21 2007, 10:00 PM) [snapback]528684[/snapback]</div>
    There is an Auto off feature, leave your lights on and they will turn off when the drivers door is opened after car is shut down. There is not an DRL feature in the US version, only Canada got that feature on this continent.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Non-U.S. versions have the auto-on headlight feature. Why we don't in the U.S. has been the subject of much speculation. There is a spot on the top of the dash for the sensor. Even my 1994 Ford Aerostar came with it.

Tom

4. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Only get the switches themselves off when the door opens after power down here in Australia, not light sensing headlights. Commodores have that feature but they don't have HSD or a Toyota badge.

5. prius2006rocks

prius2006rocks New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I wonder why we didn't get it... For all the Prius has to offer tech wise I am stumped... Yes I see the sensor area on the dash too. Oh well! I still love the car, I just didn't want to run the lights all the time. Thanks for your responses!

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    do not know.. we get it in Canada.

7. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    HID lights and auto-on are mutually exclusive. running HIDs as running lights in a toyota is a surefire recipe for early replacement for those expensive bulbs.

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Oct 22 2007, 08:19 PM) [snapback]529138[/snapback]</div>
    True.. is that why it's usually only on luxury cars??

9. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Oct 22 2007, 11:19 PM) [snapback]529138[/snapback]</div>
    Running lights and auto-on are not the same thing, as I'm sure you know. I believe the OP is talking about headlamps that automatically turn on at night when needed, not headlamps that stay on all the time when driving. An auto-on feature should be no harder on expensive headlamps than running them by hand.

Tom

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    gbee,

yes but AUTO headlights mean the headlights will flicker on and off as needed which can shorten HID capsule life.

11. tkil

tkil New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Oct 22 2007, 07:19 PM) [snapback]529138[/snapback]</div>
    One random data point: I've a 2005 with HID headlamps, and I run them 100% of the time (I believe that DRL are a great safety idea). 43k miles, 30 months, and still on the original factory lamps.

(Of course, I likely just jinxed myself...)

12. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Oct 23 2007, 11:40 PM) [snapback]529543[/snapback]</div>
    Only if they are poorly designed. With proper thresholds and hysteresis, auto headlights will work as well or better than manual control.

Tom

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Oct 24 2007, 06:05 AM) [snapback]529643[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not talking about how well the auto headlights work (i.e the sensitivity). I'm talking about flicking the HIDs on and off. Doesn't it take 20,000V to ignite (excite rather) the gas in the capsule? That's probably why you can't use HIDs to "flash" and why all those with HIDs (except the Prius oddly enough) tend to have a secondary set of halogen high beams (even those with bi-xenons like the IS)

14. TheAnnoyingOne

TheAnnoyingOne New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    On my 2006 I kept the HID's on all the time - after changing the left one at 30K and the right at 35K (both changes under warranty :D ) I wised up and use them only during night drive.

Keeping the HID's on for an average of 32.5 Kmiles and an average speed of 50 mph (fwy & city) calculates to
    650 hours which is a pretty accurate life expectancy of a Xenon arc lamp.

There are a number of factors that affect the life of a Xenon lamp, most important are: cooling and DC supply ripple followed by the number of ignition cycles.

In a car there is one more factor: mechanical vibration that may result in a slow leak of the Xenon gas.

At least with the gas discharge lamps you get some warning that they are about to die in contrast to filament lamps (including halogens) that they just do.

my 10c worth - :)

15. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    ah- i did mean DRLs. as for auto, i don't know why we don't have that here.

the only HIDs that DH ever saw burnt out were used 100% of the time the vehicle was on.

16. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Oct 24 2007, 11:10 AM) [snapback]529687[/snapback]</div>
    Agreed. It takes a high voltage to strike a gas discharge lamp, and it is definitely bad for them to short cycle on and off. I still don't see where this fits into the auto-headlamp discussion. Let's back up a bit and see if we are on the same page, or perhaps we are discussing two different issues:

I believe the OP originally asked why the Prius in the U.S. doesn't have auto-headlights. By auto-headlights I assumed the OP meant headlamps that automatically turn on when it gets dark outside and automatically turn off when it gets light. This is a common feature that has been on many automobile models for more than a decade. The only difference between automatically controlling conventional headlamps and HID headlamps is the need to avoid short-cycling the HID lamps, which can easily be accomplished by proper use of hysteresis and timing delays, especially with a car as smart as the Prius. It's not a difficult task.

That brings me around to the original question: Why no auto-headlamps for the U.S. version of the Prius? It's not a big issue for me, just more of a curious question.

Tom

17. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Daylight running lights are typically the high beams off of incandescent (old style filament) headlights. They run them at reduced voltage to reduce brightness, but use the high beams to make sure the pattern is pointing at oncoming drivers. Obviously this wouldn't work in HID lights, you can't run them at reduced voltage.
    For some HID cars they add an additional low wattage incandescent bulb in the fixture, or on cars with retractable headlights they will put a brighter bulb in the turn signal or marker light fixture. In any case to include DRL on a car with HID you have to add an extra set of bulbs. I guess Toyota thought it wasn't of enough value to the consumer to add them. Personally I agree.

18. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Oct 24 2007, 11:02 AM) [snapback]529784[/snapback]</div>
    True I agree but I can think of two instances where the AUTO headlight cycles

1. driving through a tree-lined road where the trees nearly cover all the sky in places on a cloudy day

2. if you're stopped under a bridge

I have encountered both situations as I leave my in AUTO and in both cases, they do come on during the day. In one of the tree-lined places, I had an Audi A4 behind me and I saw a flicker in the rearview and when I looked, I realised his HIDs came on.

Now of course this isn't a problem unless you happened to be stopping under bridges and travelling along tree-lined roads multiple times during the day (or one of each + going into an underground/multi-storey carpark.. so that's 3 times in one day)

19. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Oct 24 2007, 03:34 PM) [snapback]529819[/snapback]</div>
    That's from a poorly designed auto headlight controller. There is no way it should respond fast enough to cycle going though tree shadows. Stopping under cover is a tougher issue. Heuristics can be used to deal with some of these situations, but you can always think of special cases where the controller will turn on the lights (total solar eclipse while driving to work...). An argument can be made that the lights should be on if it's dark enough to cause them to come on, such as in a garage or solar eclipse (assuming the controller isn't overly zealous). Even if you discount this argument, auto headlight controllers can always be turned off if the user finds they don't work well for a particular driving situation. For most of us they work just fine.

Tom

20. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Oct 24 2007, 08:11 PM) [snapback]530032[/snapback]</div>
    Then I suppose Audi and Toyota has them wrong lol. Mine turns on if it's cloudy and I go through a heavily shaded road. And to be honest, it is fairly dark in that tiny stretch even in the daytime (cloudy).

Yeah, you brought up another issue too.. the garage. Mine almost always comes on (I reverse into the garage) so it always flicks to full headlights then back to DRLs when I exit the garage.