1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Headlights randomly go off

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Stephanie Esser, Jul 23, 2020.

1. Stephanie Esser

Stephanie Esser New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So, I have a 2007 Prius hybrid. I just love her...241,000 plus miles and going strong. Anyway, last week I was driving along at night, singing with the radio and poof! No headlights! I can turn them off and quickly back on, and they work, but now it's happening more often! It's only the headlights...my markers, tail lights, brake lights, signals, dash, and fog lights all stay on. I'm not a mechanical person, so it scares me! My drivers headlight starts to flicker and takes them both out. Is this major or should I start with the bulbs? Like I said, it's only the headlights. Please help! Stephanie

2. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Well it kind of depends on what KIND of headlights your car has.
    And whether or not a previous owner "upgraded" them.

Wild guess: They are a type that requires a "ballast" to drive them and IT is going bad.

3. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds like you have HID lights.

You could try replacing the bulbs first.
    They are expensive.
    At the dealer they are over $100 apiece.
    You may find similar at somewhere local like home Depot for $60 apiece instead.

The process to replace them is actually quite a challenge. It's kinda ridiculous actually. For most folks, slightly removing some bolts to slightly remove the bumper is the easiest route. Crazy.

If it is the ballasts that are bad, those are a couple hundred dollars each at the dealership. It is a challenging DIY project. Doable. But challenging.

Other options include converting them to LED bulbs or Halogen bulbs.

Although I know you said you are not mechanically inclined, converting to LED is the easiest. (Cost is under $100). There is a thread on Priuschat about it.

I'd be happy to chat on the phone about lights, bulbs, or doing the work yourself if you ever want to chat. 608-729-4082.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. Stephanie Esser

Stephanie Esser New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I do not know. She was my sisters car, and she gave it to my brother, who allowed everyone to drive it, including hitting a deer, hard! Then about a year later he gave it to me. But if it's one bad ballast, how can it shut off only both headlights?

5. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Don't know. Guessing that there is one ballast unit with two sections, each serving one headlight.

And now knowing the "rest of the story", I suspect that the crash with the deer has left something in the headlight circuit damaged and gradually failing.