1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Headlights won't turn off, even with the car off.

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by oldnoah, Dec 22, 2013.

1. oldnoah

oldnoah Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I just brought the fully charged battery back and installed it in the car. I took some readings: First, the battery OCV before I connected it was 12.85 volts. Once I connected and started the car it that dropped to about 12.5. Until the car starts, there is no "on" or "ready" state. When you turn the key, everything is black until the engine starts up. Also, every time it starts the windshield wipers twitch, and sometimes they go through a full cycle.
    The dash has the airbag, brakes and ABS lights on all the time. At some point the check engine light came on and the scangauge said it had P0000 and P3002. Another time the red triangle came up, and it had the same codes. Clearing the codes cleared either the check engine light and the red triangle.

The car will not start with the scangauge hooked up. You can hook it up after it starts, and the voltage reading is about 13.7 now, but it changes somewhat. I've seen it as low as 13.4 and then a second later it goes up to 13.8. But while reading 13.7 on the scangauge the battery reads 11.5, now that I've driven it home (about 38 miles).

Chap, looking through your inverter pictures and reading the description it sounds like there are fuses inside the inverter. Possibly one that would blow the connection between the DC/DC converter and the 12 volt body electrical buss. I'm not sure I want to take apart the inverter, but I'd like to think that the fuses would protect the inverter if it shorted to something. So maybe replacing the fuse could solve some things.

Oh, looking through the manual I found a troubleshooting section on the horn that says if the horn sounds continuously it's either the horn button or the horn relay. I have the horn fuse pulled to prevent it from sounding, but on the way home I hit the horn button and it beeped. Seems like the fuse and the relay are only for when the theft deterrent system wants to sound the horn?

As a footnote: We're buying a new car. I'm trying to decide if I want to trade this one in or keep it and mess with it to see if it can be fixed.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Welp, if you're reading 11.5 at the battery, there's nowhere for the 13.7 to be coming from unless the converter's working, so I doubt there's a problem there.

What piques my interest is a whole 2.2 volt drop between the harness wiring where the scangauge measures, and where you measured at the battery. Were you measuring right at the posts?

I would also try a measurement between the clamps (just move the probes off the battery posts and onto the clamps sitting on the posts), and then maybe a measurement between the positive clamp and a bright unpainted body screw, etc., and just keep moving the probes around trying to see where you might be losing most of the 2.2 volts.

(BTW, the inverter pics aren't mine, but hobbit's.)

-Chap

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I suggest measuring voltage from the negative battery post to the negative terminal clamp, and then from the negative terminal clamp to an unpainted part of the body, near where the negative cable is bolted. In all cases the voltage drop should be near zero.

4. oldnoah

oldnoah Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    From the negative terminal to body ground, with the car OFF: 0.0 mV. ON .3 mV. From the positive terminal to the metal clamp: 0.0 mV both on and off. From the positive terminal to the wire that plugs into the clamp (past the fuse) OFF: 0.0 mV, ON: anywhere from 2.3 mV to 7.2 mV. These numbers are, of course, load dependent, so you'd expect higher numbers when a load is applied. Resistance between negative terminal and body ground was 0.3 Ω. From positive terminal to the wire was 0.7 Ω.

Also, since the battery had been charging overnight with a trickle charger, OCV was 13.05 V. Once the car was started the battery voltage terminal to terminal was 12.2 V, but after I took the loss measurements from terminal to body/wire, the car was turned off and OCV was 12.5 V. I wish I had a clamp-on ammeter, so I could tell how much the car is drawing, but it's clear the car is not charging the battery.

5. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I understand that when the Prius is READY, you are measuring 12.2V across the battery. Try measuring 12V at some other convenient point, such as the auxiliary 12V socket.

If you get a similar measurement there then that is proof the DC/DC converter in the inverter is not operational. Check the DC/DC fuse and if that is good then either wiring is bad or the DC/DC converter has failed.

6. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yep, it is pretty clear that your DC charging circuit is not working.

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Does anything (including your ScanGauge) still read 13 or higher when the car is on and READY?

Is the ScanGauge the only thing reading that high, or can you also get a reading above 13 on your voltmeter anywhere in the car (say, at the cigarette lighter 12 V power socket), when the car is on and READY?

-Chap

8. oldnoah

oldnoah Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, the scangauge still read between 13.6 and 13.8 when the car is READY. And (I would not have believed this, but) the cigarette lighter has 13.89V by my meter.

Where is this DC/DC Fuse?

9. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So now you know the inverter is operational.

The 2G Prius has a fusible link assembly that the 100A DC/DC fuse is part of, located in the main relay/fuse box near the inverter.

Since you have a Classic, check your owner's manual to see if the DC/DC fuse (or fusible link) is depicted. If not, and if no one else responds, obtain repair manual and electrical wiring diagram info at techinfo.toyota.com which is a subscription website. My guess is that the DC/DC will be located within the relay/fuse box near the inverter.

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Here's a quick easy check...

Make the car on/ready, such that you're seeing the 13.6+ up front at the scangauge and lighter power socket. While it's still ready:

Back at the aux battery, squeeze and unplug the two cable connectors (a fat one and a thin one) from the red positive clamp assembly.

Your granddad's voice is probably yelling "never unhook the battery with a running engine, you'll toast your alternator/voltage regulator!" That's ok, granddad's car had an alternator and a vibrating reed regulator, your regulator's all electronic and will be just fine.

Put one voltmeter probe in the (now disconnected) end of the fat cable, the other probe at a clean metal ground point.

What reading do you get?

Now plug the cables back in. :)

-Chap

11. oldnoah

oldnoah Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I definitely need to see a wiring diagram.

Well, the service manual doesn't show the DC/DC fuse, but the inside cover of the Engine Room J/B shows it, it just doesn't have an actual scale layout, so you kind of have to infer the location of the fuse from the relative placement in the diagram (and the fact that it's a 100 amp fuse).

I can't figure out how to pull these big box fuses. I tried to get the 100Amp fuse out, and just broke off the top cover. The fuse appears to be ok. Is there a secret to this? And two of those box fuses are in the dashboard fuse panel to the left of the opening, how are you supposed to reach them, let alone pull them out?

I'd like to be able to go through each of the fuses and also check each relay, but they all look so fragile.

12. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

As you're learning, pulling on fuses isn't going to be the fastest or most efficient way to track this problem down. As Patrick points out, we already have good reason to look elsewhere than the DC bus fuses at the moment. The test where you make the car ready, then pop out the two cables at the positive battery clamp module (super easy, they just squeeze and pull out), then measure the voltage at the free end of the fat cable (to good body ground) I suspect will tell us the same thing (but we'll see what your measurement says). Using a voltmeter, a little patience, and Kirchhoff's second law, I don't think it will be hard to get a pretty good idea where to look without having to disassemble a lot of stuff.

Since you're wondering about the larger fuses, the high ratings in that style have mounting screws into the blades at the bottom, so you won't be pulling them out as if from a socket. It takes access from underneath, which means getting the engine room J/B loose for access to the bottom. Everything I've read by other people tackling that job kind of makes it sound like that J/B is the first part of the car and the rest was assembled around it.

You may end up doing that later anyway, if you broke the top off the fuse, as you probably don't want to leave it that way, but it can probably wait until we've tracked down whatever the real problem is for now. I'm also not sure what the price on that particular fuse is.

I'll stay tuned for what you report on the battery-disconnected bus voltage measurement.

-Chap

14. oldnoah

oldnoah Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought I had made it clear before. The car will not run when the battery gets low. Disconnecting the battery kills the car.

As for the battery, I guess I didn't make it clear that since the previous battery had been discharged down to 3 volts, I replaced it. The battery I'm dealing with now is new.

15. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I suggest you disconnect the 12V battery and when IG-OFF, measure resistance from the positive battery cable, to the 12V aux power socket. You'll need to run a jumper wire to the positive battery cable, and account for the resistance of the jumper wire and the digital multimeter's test leads.

If you find the resistance is greater than 0.1 ohm you'll know there is something wrong with the cable running back to the battery. A resistance of 0.1 ohm and current flow of 10A would result in a 1V drop.

16. oldnoah

oldnoah Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Resistance from the positive battery cable to the power socket is 810Ω. Resistance of the meter leads plus extension wire was 0.3Ω.

17. oldnoah

oldnoah Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Does techinfo.toyota.com let you print out the wiring diagrams? Maybe I could subscribe from my work computer and print out what I need and bring it home.

18. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My apologies. I had somehow totally missed that earlier, or I had seen it at first but was distracted by your 13+ volt readings at the scangauge and cig socket.

It's pretty confusing to be seeing 13+ anywhere at all, which proves the converter is putting out power, and at the same time have the car unable to continue running with the battery unhooked. Confusing enough to make me dig out my wiring diagram.

I either had never noticed, or hadn't remembered, that some of the 12V power distribution is fed from terminals F10 and F11 (on the converter side of the 100A DC/DC fuse), and some is fed from F12 (with F13, on the battery side of that fuse; F13 is for the cable to the battery itself). These are terminal numbers, not fuse numbers; all four of these terminals go on (the two ends of) one fuse, the one you were trying to pull.

The OBD-II circuit (where the ScanGauge reads) and the cig circuit both get fed from F11, so it's no surprise they show 13+ when the converter is active. Several critical engine circuits (EFI, THRO, AM2, ...) are fed from F12. I don't know why they designed it that way, but if that fuse is open (as you seem rightly to have been thinking all along) it would totally explain why the engine dies if you unhook the battery. There could still be other explanations, but none as simple and tidy as that.

I'm sorry to have sent the thread in other directions temporarily. I'm now right with you in thinking of that 100A fuse as the prime suspect. I've heard it's tedious work to get that junction box loose enough to access the terminal connections underneath, but it seems like that's the right place to go next.

-Chap

Patrick Wong likes this.
  19. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Absolutely. I think people fairly commonly subscribe for a short period and, in that time, download stuff for reference later. At the price of the short subscription (plus some tedium doing the downloading) it's not a bad way to go.

My faith in humanity has been boosted by seeing that most people here do not seem to go putting their downloaded materials up in torrents or whatnot. It seems there's been a pretty widespread tacit feeling that it's fair to send $15 Toyota's way in exchange for such complete information access, and download the stuff directly for personal reference, and encourage others to do the same. :)

I'm old-fashioned enough I bought my manuals on paper, but if I were starting now, probably downloading's the way I'd go too.

-Chap

20. oldnoah

oldnoah Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm looking at the techinfo.toyota.com site, and I see that the second option for 55/2days includes techstream software. I assume that's for a windows laptop, which I don't have, although I could probably borrow one. What kind of cable do you need to connect to a laptop? Could I use the cable that came with my scangauge? And does the software expire after 2 days also? Given then nature of the problem I'm facing, it seems like having more access to the car's data would be helpful.

Also, given that I now have a 2010 prius to relieve the need to get this one back on the road, and also that the weather is not conducive to working in my unheated garage, (3° F this morning) it might be awhile before I dig too much deeper.