1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Headlights won't turn off, even with the car off.

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by oldnoah, Dec 22, 2013.

1. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The software ought to work with an OBD-II interface cable that comes with an SAE J2534 driver stack. That's a little bit higher-end than the really common OBD-II cables that are based on the ELM327 chip (those won't work).

The cable/driver setup that Toyota tests and recommends was about a $400 item the last time I checked, but there are Chinese knockoffs of the hardware for a lot less. As an extra added bonus (or however you prefer to look at it), the knockoff hardware sellers often seem to "throw in" a "copy" of the Toyota techstream software that has had its time limit, umm, extended by technical means. Several people on this forum seem to be using it without any problems, though I would always wonder just a bit whether a seller who's obviously willing to rip off Toyota would have too much of a conscience to Trojan-horse me.

Others without a Windows laptop have reported running the stuff successfully in a Windows VM. I don't remember seeing any report on whether it runs in wine.

-Chap

2. oldnoah

oldnoah Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just an update: I paid for two days and downloaded the wiring diagrams. Looking through them I see a potential sneak circuit through the Body ECU that could be causing the horn problem, and I see a number of other places where the Body ECU happens to show up in connection with the ABS and Brake circuitry. I can't see a connection that would cause the Brake system to not be working, but it seems like the Body ECU is a black box that might be worth replacing. I ordered a used one off of ebay, and I'll see if replacing it solves any problems.

Looks like a royal pain to get in and replace though. If anyone has replaced one before and knows a sequence of how to take apart the dash, I'd appreciate it. Looks like I should start with the steering wheel, and column cover.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Say, if you're still in your two-day window, why not download the Instrument Panel r&r instructions from the Body section in Volume 2? Might as well get your info from the source.... In the paper book that's pages BO-59 through BO-68 (I forget whether you see the same page numbers in the e-version). You even get a page you can print out and use to sort and organize all the different-size screws you take out.

Given the number of strange Body Electrical questions you're facing, you might be curious enough to download some or all of section BE as well.

-Chap

4. oldnoah

oldnoah Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have Volume 1 and 2. Ticks me off that for all that money it doesn't come with the wiring diagrams. I looked through the Body Electrical troubleshooting chart, and there was nothing that matched the symptoms I'm having. It took a look through the wiring diagram to see where the connection between the horn and the Body ECU appear to be.

I'm hoping I can replace the Body ECU without removing the entire dashboard. I see a lot of references that say it is "integral" to the fuse box. I wonder if it can be replaced by itself or if I have to take out the whole fusebox.

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    New Car Features, and Body Repair, are separate purchases too, but I didn't think they weren't worth it. And the wiring diagram manual really is an honest book's worth of stuff by itself.

I think hobbit's pictures might be for a Gen 2, but are probably close enough to get an idea.

-Chap

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The point of NCF is to provide some explanation of how the various systems are engineered, or a "theory of operations".

The repair manual explains what to do when repairing a vehicle, but very little about how a system works. NCF fills that gap and I personally feel it is very useful, if you want to develop a better understanding of how the various Prius systems operate and interact.

The best NCF to own are the ones at the beginning of each generation, such as 2001 and 2004. 2001 explains the various Classic systems while 2004 explains 2G and how it differs from Classic. The subsequent model year NCFs just explore the changes from one model year to the next which are pretty minor, especially with Classic only covering three model years.

7. oldnoah

oldnoah Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I just replaced the Body ECU, and it solved exactly one problem: Now I can install the fuse for the horn, and the horn doesn't blow continuously, even when the car is off. It does beep once, when the car is first started (at the same time that the windshield wipers twitch or go through one cycle. I need to go back and look through the diagrams, because somewhere I saw the word "horns" and I assumed it was a misprint. From what I remember seeing in the diagram, there is only one horn. But right now if I hit the horn button on the steering wheel with the fuse out, it makes a smaller beep, and with the fuse in, it makes a louder beep with a dual tone.

As for the rest of it, the voltage at the battery is currently 11.9 with the car "ready" and 12. 6 with the car off. The SRS light, the Brake light, and the ABS light are all still on.

8. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Have you figured out why you are getting such a high resistance measurement? If you can solve that issue I believe you will be done.

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I remain persuaded that earlier suspicions about the 100A DC/DC fuse were probably correct. The battery cable is on one side of that, the power socket on the other, so if that fuse is open, the resistance measurement would not be seeing a direct path at all, but only the effective parallel resistance of various connected loads.

-Chap

usnavystgc likes this.
  10. oldnoah

oldnoah Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    (edit: Started response to Patrick, Chap posted before I finished ) Nope. I'm poring over the wiring diagram trying to figure out how it all fits together. Actually, power for the cigarette lighter should be off when the ACC relay is off, so it should be an open circuit, not 810Ω.

The wiring diagram shows a fuse called "cig" which powers the cigarette lighter off the acc relay, which gets its power from the white wire from the 100A DC/DC fusible link, terminal B. Everything leads back to that fuse, but it looks like I have to remove the whole junction box to figure out if that's it or not. It would be nice if I could just pull the fuse and check it.

I spent some time today trying to get the junction box out so I could check it, (I got cocky because removing the dashboard fusebox was much easier than I expected). But it looks like the only way the junction box will come out is if I remove the inverter.

11. oldnoah

oldnoah Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  12. oldnoah

oldnoah Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm copying these instructions from the other thread. Can anyone guess what he's talking about when he says the "aquarium cover?"

1. Disconnect the positive lead for the auxilliary battery.

2. Remove the funnel attachment for the wiper fluid reservoir.

3. Disconnect the 5 electrical connecters (each is unique so no worries when re-assembling) to the left of the fuse box. Pull that bundle back and undo the tie to the fusebox and the first two ties on the aquarium cover.

4. Remove at least 1 screw from the bracket holding the bundle connectors that run under the electric motor housing cover. You probably can't get to the second one anyway. I couldn't. Push the bracket down and to the left as much as possible.

5. Remove the 2 x 10MM bolts that secure the fusebox to the body. I needed a wobbly bar and a 90 degree adapter for the rear one.

6. Unclip the highside A/C line from the front ground cable and aquarium cover and move it to the left a couple inches. Take care not to kink the line. That would be bad.

7. Using a flathead screwdriver, unclip the 4 clips (1 on each side) that hold the bottom cover of the fusebox to the top and wiggle the bottom out from underneath. There is a cutout so that it goes around the bundles running into the box.

8. Use a flathead screwdriver to push in the two clips that hold the fusible link connector block to the fusebox. Slide it out the bottom of the fusebox. Move the main fusebox as far forward as possible.

9. Disconnect the black connector on the bottom of the link block.

10. Pry back the 4 arrowhead shaped retainer clips on the longer sides of the fusible link block. Slide the lighter colored covers down, revealing the retaining bolts (4 total) for the link and cables.

11. Loosen the 10MM bolt holding the link on the right side. Loosen the 8MM bolt holding the link on the left side. Pull out the blown 100A link. You do not need to remove the other 2 bolts.

12. Replacement is reverse of removal.

13. Check the rest of your fuses. I had 4 blown 10A and 15A fuses from the original overload. All minor stuff, but blown is blown.

13. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm assuming that's the inverter coolant pump housing (since its like an aquarium pump).

14. oldnoah

oldnoah Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I figured I should post a progress report. I replaced the 100 amp dc/dc fuse some time ago, and most of the car is back to normal. I still have the brake/abs lights on the dash, and as far as I can tell, it means that I am using plain old fashioned hydraulic brakes, which is just fine with me. The only problem is that it probably doesn't pass inspection. I'm thinking of removing the bulbs so the inspectors can't tell there's anything wrong.

15. oldnoah

oldnoah Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh, and for any one reading this who needs to replace the 100 amp fuse, I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how the wire got shortened, because it fit one of the connectors on the bottom of the fuse box, but there was no way it could reach with the fuse box in place. It turned out that the connector on the fuse box just isn't used, and the cable plugs into the bottom of the white plastic fuse carrier thingy. I didn't even realize that it had been plugged in there, because I couldn't see what I was unplugging.

Once I figured out that there was a plug down there, it wasn't that hard to put it all back together.

If I had it all to do again, I wish someone had told me if you release the 100 amp fuse carrier and lift the fusebox up to disconnect the connectors underneath it, leave the fuse carrier alone until you've got the entire fusebox out of the car. It will make much more sense to put it back together that way.

16. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Or the fluid level is low.

Bob Wilson

17. oldnoah

oldnoah Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My first reaction was to dismiss the suggestion, because I'm quite sure that there is an electrical issue involved. Then I figured that denial wasn't a valid response, so I checked the fluid.

It's right between the Low and High marks.

18. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Regarding denial: Is it reasonable for you to take the car to a Toyota dealer to have the DTC read so that you'll know why the skid control ECU has the warning lights on? Or else, invest in a mini VCI so you can do the same...

19. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Or stick a jumper between Tc and CG and count the flashes of the ABS light?

-Chap

20. oldnoah

oldnoah Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It would help if I new what Tc and GC was.