1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Headliner sound insulation installation around los angeles

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by lopgok, Apr 21, 2015.

1. lopgok

lopgok Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have decided I want to add sound insulation above my headliner.
    I know what is involved, and it seems like quite a lot of work.
    I am looking for recommendations for a shop around los angeles that has done it on a prius, which is reasonably good and reasonably priced.

I did the front and rear doors mysels as well as parts of the floor and trunk, but the headliner seems a lot more complicated.

thanks in advance

2. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    I'm picturing installing sprayed foam insulation in all available crevices.

#2 mrbigh, Apr 22, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  3. lopgok

lopgok Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  4. scrappy

scrappy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    For material, you might want to use the 3/8" vinyl-nitrile aircraft insulation foam such as from Super Soundproofing in San Marcos (760 752-3030). That particular foam is used in aircraft as a sound and thermal barrier and should be ideal for a car roof.

Call them and ask for Dave or Randy, tell em that John with the Prius sent you. I got MLV and closed cell foam for my car's sound proofing project from these guys, they are somewhat local and very pleasant to work with. They are a solid source for soundproofing materials and advice, and they may know of someone who'd do the install for you too.

Yes, doing the roof looks intimidating because it's one of those "knee bone connected to the thigh bone" kind of adventures. You have to start by removing garnishes/panel from the bottom of the car.. remove the door sills then lower b-pillar then upper b-pillar and so on, before you can get the headliner out. As a DIY project, I am expecting to take 2 days to do my roof. 4 hours to remove the headliner, 2 hours to tape and tarp the interior to protect it from contact cement, 4 hours to apply dynamat, foam and radiant barrier, 4 hours to put the car back together.

A good auto upholstery shop might be a resource, but for my car, I'd want to be part of the project so I know it's being done "right" and am part of deciding on any shortcuts or changes to the plan.