1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Headrests

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by MNdriver, May 15, 2017.

1. MNdriver

MNdriver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I’ve come to terms with mine by inclining the seat more than I’d prefer. I drive with the headrests tilted down in the back for maximum visibility out the back of the car.

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  2. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The headrest must be pulled "up" as high as it will go and then it will fold forward.

3. VTBIGDOG

VTBIGDOG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    ...or if you don't carry rear passengers, just keep pulling up and remove them completely.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I leave mine folded forward for better rear view visibility.

5. mikeconwell

mikeconwell New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    6'1" tall driving a 2018 Prius Prime and the driver's headrest is completely debilitating when installed correctly. I've got it on backward in order to be able to drive around. The "lean the seat back" helps a little, but then why did I pay so much money for lumbar support and adjustable seat?

Thanks for those on the thread to let me know it's not just me. That picture of the old and new headrest side by side is really telling. I'll be looking for a replacement and try to communicate to Toyota how bad this is.

Btw, had a 2008 Prius that I loved except for one thing. The front seats that were 'C' shaped with no lower back support were excruciating over long drives and had to use Relax the Back seat add-ons. So getting a better seat was one of the items I was most excited about with the 2018.

6. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    This is how different people are.

My head doesn't really touch the head rest so it's neither comfortable nor uncomfortable. Airliner head rests are uncomfortable for the reason you stated - they push my head forward and force my neck to bend down.

My 2004 Prius's seats were totally comfortable, even for tens of hours. The Prime's seats are very comfortable except that the Softex material doesn't breathe and is thus miserably hot. I'm getting use to the sensation of having a sweaty back all the time in my Prime, but I still hate it.

Any lower back support at all causes me severe back spasms. I've been in cars that had adjustable lumbar support that was too much even at it's most deflated setting. Such cars can debilitate me (as in unable to walk or even stand) in as little as 15 minutes.

7. PT Guy

PT Guy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Could the headrest position be a new federal safety regulation? I have the same situation in my 2016 Mazda.

8. TAF

TAF New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'm 5'3". In January, after lots of research, I bought the 2017 Prius Prime Advance. But because that day it was 5 degrees and the wind blowing AND that I had driven a Prius comfortably for 11 years, I didn't take this car for an extended test drive. Sadly, I find that those headrests bend my head forward, too. Additionally, I feel like I have a concussion after a long drive. To reach the foot pedals, I can't put the seat back. On the telephone advice of Toyota Customer Service, I made an appointment and I spent all day, all day, driving 80 miles round trip to my place of purchase to see what could be done with this headrest issue. The head service writer and the head technology person had no idea how to get around this awful headrest issue. They even brought another one for me to try, just to see if my driver's seat was faulty. Apparently, I'm the only person to ever complain about it. After a recent trip, I swear I'm thinking about selling this 2017 Prius. At the showroom, I tried all the other Toyota's and, even with the Rav SUV, my head bent forward. The most comfortable car was the cheapest Yaris. Any advice?

#28 TAF, Oct 12, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2018
  9. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Suggestions:

• Put the headrest up kind of high so your head only touches the bottom of it.
    • Turn it around backwards. It won't lock but it will fit.
    • Lean the seat slightly back which will encourage you to sit more erect moving your head away from the headrest.
    • Get a seat cushion to move your head up relative to the seat.

10. coach81

coach81 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting how such an advanced car.. can have such horrible headrests....

11. Christina C

Christina C New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have this problem also. I'm 5'4" and realized that I was getting neck/shoulder pain when I made longer drives. I got a cheap lumbar support pillow (<$20) and keep that in my car. I place it on my back just above my hips. It helps raise my lower back away from my car which makes the headrest hit at the correct place. That way, I can sit up straight and my head isn't pushed forward.