1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Heads up: Mini VCI Toyota TIS virus

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Former Member 68813, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Should I get concerned about passwords, other fraud, etc?
    I had that software loaded for over a year and this is the very first time I'm seeing this.
    Weird.

Attached Files:

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I suspect it is a False Positive, from a definition that your virus scanner just downloaded. I can recommend AVG Free if you want to double check.

AVG | AVG AntiVirus 2014

3. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
  4. Former Member 68813

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    LOL, why did you say this? I'm using AVG free already.

5. Former Member 68813

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good idea, but the virus is in the vault. I'm not sure it's safe to undelete.

6. situationalawareness

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Double check it with clam anti virus. It's an open source free virus checking software with free definition downloads. I use that primarily.

7. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    As long as you don't execute the file it should be safe to undelete it.

8. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    All due respect buts AVG (any version) is not computer protection. A suite like Kaspersky Pure and Malwarebytes Premium (with mutual exclusions) might better serve you...as a start. YMMV

9. haole man

haole man Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I beg to differ. AVG is good virus protection that I've used for over 10 years without incident. I can also recommend Avast! as free virus protection. You also need a good firewall, such as ZoneAlarm, and good malware protection, such as Malwarebytes (free version) and SuperAntiSpyware. You should use at least 2 different malware programs, since I've found that no single program catches everything. I've had good results with this package of 4 programs over many years and none of them cost anything. This is from about 30 years experience in IT. I agree with you that Kaspersky is good, but it's expensive; free is better.

Sassylady likes this.
  10. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Years ago the AVG free/Avast combo was good, so was nod...not so any more. YMMV. My recommendations to friendly_jacek were solid, and to quote..."as a start", and I stand by them 100%. I do not question your 30 years IT experience, nor your "desire" to use free-ware. I would however question your wisdom telling the world about your specific security package though.

11. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I am very happy with AVG Free, Malwarebytes, and Spybot Search and Destroy, but my clientele is retired School Teachers, I would pay money to protect teenage boys.

acadiel and Sassylady like this.
  12. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    No-win discussion. I too have used AVG (free) for over 10 years without ever getting bit, but I would not suggest it as the only or best solution. I would not suggest Kaspersky either though because most people don't need all the protection it offers for the price it charges. However, it was suggested as a 'suite' of protection and avoids having to deal with a myriad of separate programs. I would suggest AVG or Avast as the best free protection and Kaspersky as the best paid protection, but I'd further recommend that anyone check each out for themselves. I will say that no program will protect you if you are one of the first to encounter a new virus. There are sites that rate protection programs and both AVG and Avast are always rated highly. I should note that I'm not particularly pre-occupied with protection because I tend to keep to a relatively limited number of trusted sites I visit and I rarely click on files that haven't been vetted by someone else I know. :)

13. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    As long as everyone is happy with what they have, so be it. :) Just a little friendly though...and to whom it may concern...Malwarebytes Premium (and free) has a few holes now. One might also look into HitmanPro3. ;);)

14. Epiphany2000

Epiphany2000 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    From my experience, you really don't need the firmware update program (that got flagged as a virus). It is really only good for verifying that the cable and the driver are properly installed and working. But you can just skip that step, run techstream & see if it works. If techstream can communicate with the car, you're good to go.

I recently re-imaged my laptop. I will run the file in question through the aforementioned free online scannner before reinstalling techstream, as I'm curious to see the results.

ftl likes this.
  15. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Antivirus SUCK and slow down your PC. A lot of them renders your PC useless once the license expires. I have not used any PC protection software for the last 20 years. If I suspect my PC is infected, I use combofix to clean it out. It's been 3 years since I had to format my HDD and reinstall XP. It's only because I had too many programs installed and had too many orphan files. Yeah I'm using a 14 year OS with no virus protection. I run all new and untested software in Virtualbox first. If it doesn't infect Virtualbox, then I install it on my computer. The only time I had problem with my computer is when it got infected with Code Red back in 2001.

Epiphany2000 likes this.