1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Health risks of shipping pollution have been 'underestimated'

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by Silver bullit, May 31, 2009.

1. Silver bullit

Silver bullit Right Lane Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Britain and other European governments have been accused of underestimating the health risks from shipping pollution following research which shows that one giant container ship can emit almost the same amount of cancer and asthma-causing chemicals as 50m cars.
    Confidential data from maritime industry insiders based on engine size and the quality of fuel typically used by ships and cars shows that just 15 of the world's biggest ships may now emit as much pollution as all the world's 760m cars. Low-grade ship bunker fuel (or fuel oil) has up to 2,000 times the sulphur content of diesel fuel used in US and European automobiles.
    Pressure is mounting on the UN's International Maritime Organisation and the EU to tighten laws governing ship emissions following the decision by the US government last week to impose a strict 230-mile buffer zone along the entire US coast, a move that is expected to be followed by Canada.
    The setting up of a low emission shipping zone follows US academic research which showed that pollution from the world's 90,000 cargo ships leads to 60,000 deaths a year in the US alone and costs up to $330bn per year in health costs from lung and heart diseases. Full article Health risks of shipping pollution have been 'underestimated' | Environment | guardian.co.uk

2. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I've only been on a cruise ship twice and must say I was appalled by the amount of crap they spewed into the air.

3. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Tim,

And yet you don't believe in human caused global warming? Isn't there a bit of a cognitive disconnect there?

Icarus

4. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Icarus, not necessarily... on another note, it takes a MASSIVE amount of energy to move a ship that big through the water, particularly if it is moving quickly. Bunker oil is hardly a clean fuel as well. It about the least refined fuel you can put in an engine.

5. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    One question that I have about these studies is how do they tease apart maritime pollution contributions to health problems from the other myriad sources? Pollution in general costs us a lot of money... a cost that isn't factored into the cost of the fuel, but how can they differentiate maritime pollution from, say, asian pollution on the US west coast?

6. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Used to sell a byproduct stream to the fuel blenders for bunker oil. They complained it had too much ether in it and asked if I could get it out. My response was, "Of course it has a lot of ether in it, did they not look at the COA or MSDS? I would love to get the ether out of it (since that was one of my products) but there is no economically feasible way to separate it from this small volume, very light mixed stream." Would have loved to burn it in our own boilers, but instead we could only sell it for pennies on the btu value dollar.

This of course was the result of some idiotic boiler law (BIF) interpretations by the Feds that prevented us from burning perfect byproduct streams in our steam boilers...because the byproduct was incredibly flammable and therefore hazardous. :doh: (Kinda the point of a good fuel...) Later on we ended up incinerating it for about 60% lower energy recovery. :tsk: What a waste.

7. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  8. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's not just the health risks of pollution that's a problem with shipping. The practice of dumping ballast and bilge waters from foreign seas has resulted in the introduction of invasive species all over the world. The Great Lakes, in particular, suffer with this problem.

9. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

To say nothing of dumping sewage and trash. Seems to me it's kinda like taking a dump in your living room then inviting guests over and ignoring the piles of shit you have dumped previously. What would make you think your guests even want to visit you a second time after seeing the disgusting mess you have left behind before. It's called cutting off your nose to spite your face.

10. jbracefan1977

jbracefan1977 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been once on a cruise ship too and they do emit huge amount of pollution i the air.

11. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Isn't it more like being invited to a friend's and dropping a deuce in their living room? Not to put to fine a point on it... :p

12. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

Thanks for the clarification, Tripp!