1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Heartland Comment in Detroit News

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Sep 8, 2017.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: Middle class bearing Tesla subsidy

When the sale of its 200,000th vehicle occurs later this year, Tesla buyers will no longer be able to claim a $7,500-per-vehicle federal tax credit for purchasing one. But fear not! California’s climate-crazy legislature is coming to the rescue.

Gov. Jerry Brown and state legislators plan to pass a $3 billion electric vehicle (EVs) subsidy to replace the soon-to-end federal rebate. Under California’s generous program, electric vehicle buyers could soon receive up to $40,000 to buy’s Tesla’s most expensive models.

Despite the federal government having provided a $465 million low-interest loan for Tesla to develop a cheap electric vehicle in 2009 and the billions of dollars in tax credits given to buyers, Tesla has continued to turn out $110,000 luxury cars designed for and marketed to millionaires. Those buyers obviously could afford to pay the full freight for their vehicles but instead took money from the poor and middle-income households to fund their “green lifestyle” purchases.
    . . .
    While California may keep Tesla in business for a little while longer, its lifeline to Tesla can’t change that even if one believes humans are causing climate change, subsidizing billionaire Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s electric-car dreams does little to reduce carbon dioxide. The switch to EVs simply shifts emissions from the tailpipe to the smoke stack. California’s tax credit for Tesla is welfare for the well-to-do, and it’s time to end it.

H. Sterling Burnett is a research fellow on energy and the environment at The Heartland Institute.

So this was my reply:

Retired, we have two, plug-in hybrids that on electricity cost $2.50-$2.70 to drive 100 miles. In contrast, the gasoline engines cost $4.70-$6.90 for 100 miles (thanks Harvey!) and are only used for infrequent trips out of town. Unlike gasoline prices, utility rates don't change daily.

USA electrical power comes from a mix of coal, nuclear, hydro, wind, and natural gas. Natural gas is cheaper than coal and doesn't make ash ponds or soot. Worse, mercury from coal makes the fish caught in local rivers and creeks too toxic to eat.

Of course if Heartland is so concerned about traction battery manufacturing, I'll be happy to drive on gas if they'll pay me the difference between EV and gasoline miles. You know, put their money where their mouth is.

I am sympathetic to those whose public service commission has over priced residential electricity higher than gasoline miles. I've already seen where gas-advocates are selectively hitting on 'remote charger' fees and excessively high utility rates. But for everyone of those cherry picked examples, reply with what those of us who live in affordable areas pay.

Bob Wilson