1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Heat from driver side vent and cold air from passenger side

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by SKJSS, Nov 13, 2022.

1. SKJSS

SKJSS New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Hey all, 2014 Prius C with 324k miles. Head gasket is starting to fail. I just ordered a motor and transmission with 40k miles on it and was going to have both swapped out. Plan was to then give it to my daughter, who is about to turn 16. Yesterday I turned the heat on for the first time in 8 months. Hot air from the driver side vent and cold air from passenger side. I presume the blend door actuator or the door itself failed. Is the door buried in the dash, or is the access relatively easy? I'm having a shop do the work. If it's a 8-10 hour job, I think I may just call it a day and move on. Thanks!

2. Shahid Uddin Mahamud

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It may occur for several reasons like hot & cold blend steeper motor stuck, low AC gas, evaporator jammed or leak in ac system.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I think there is only one hot/cold blend door the full width of the heater, so there's probably no way it can get stuck that gives hot air on one side and cold on the other.

A clog or uneven flow of hot coolant through the heater core might be a more likely suspect. Some heater cores used to be just one pipe zigzagging its way from the gozinta to the gozouta, but I don't think the Prius core is like that. I think it has a bunch of independent passages between two header tanks, so some of the passages could get clogged.

What's the condition of the coolant in the car? Has it been changed regularly? Has a test strip been dipped in it lately?