1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Heat pump, and remote AC, but no preheating???

Discussion in 'Prime Technical Discussion' started by Boyelectric, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Boyelectric

Boyelectric Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Seriously, in every survey, and every feedback form that Toyota sent me, asking my thoughts on the 2012 PiP that I own, I remarked that having the car be able to remotely preheat the passenger compartment and engine core, while still plugged into household power, would be a critical factor for the next plug in.

What we got is a heat pump. Granted, it can operate on EV power, but seriously... what will it do? It will cut the range in half (even if it is monstrously efficient), I would be willing to bet. Is this an important feature? Yes, and it was right to include it; but it misses the real opportunity of being able to use connected AC to preheat the car for passenger comfort, or defrosting, etc.

Don't talk to me about heated seats... those are not the solution.

If, and I stress IF, I were to buy this model, I would be back to using a freaking portable space heater and another extension cord to preheat my damned car. That's dumb, when I already have one AC cord already plugged into the car.

Grrrrrr.

Redpoint5 and bisco like this.
  2. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    That's a pretty angry 4th post. How cold exactly does it get in Seattle? There are a lot of us in "real" cold that find the seat heaters very useful.

That being said, I agree with you that they probably should have put a small resistance heater in this thing. They can't be that expensive.

bisco likes this.
  3. Boyelectric

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Sorry to be so grumpy, but yes, that is the point... such a cheap feature, yet omitted.

I really did try to use the legitimate channels to clearly explain to Toyota about this disfunction.

4. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    On the plus side, I believe heat pumps use less energy than resistance heaters. And they said it works down to -15 C. That would cover you in Seattle. But ya, no pre heating is a bummer.

On another plus side...I imagine the Tesla Model 3 will be cheaper than this thing.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i wanted pre heating as well. are we sure it isn't there? maybe they just haven't mentioned it.

6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The gen1 Volt required being plugged into a level 2 home charger in order to preheat the car cabin. The draw was probably too high for cabin heating and charging for a standard 15 amp outlet. The Prime has a smaller battery than even the gen1 Volt, and can fully charge from an outlet in under 7 hours. The majority of buyers aren't going to shell out the extra money for a faster charger for the sake of cabin preheating. So the low cost to Toyota of having the feature would still likely be a wasted cost.

Redpoint5 likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe, but quite a few pip owned have L2, and a lot of the ones who don't might be cali hov sticker 'i don't plug in' types.
    L2 is going to be even more convenient with a 2 1/2 hour charge vs 5 hours. overnight is one thing, but 22 mile range frequently needs recharging for many of us. especially in weather when you want the heater, 22 miles becomes 15. then turn on your heat pump and see what happens.

8. Boyelectric

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yep, I will be having a L2 charger installed pretty soon. While it will help the PiP, I also predict that I will use it on future cars.

9. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    GM's survey of Volt owners showed over half that responded just used the wall outlet. That was a factor in the decision to not use a larger onboard charger. The L2s can be had for under $500, but wiring needs to be run for it. Granted, I would also install it with plans for future plug ins, too. Toyota though needs to balance options and costs against what they expect to actually sell.

Redpoint5 and bisco like this.
  10. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    @Boyelectric, the PriusChat team (@Tideland Prius specifically) in NYC confirmed during lunch with the Chief Engineer today that pre-heat AND pre-cool is possible with enough battery SOC. It doesn't even have to be plugged in.

Not sure if anyone remembers, but there was originally a heat pump on the Prius Plug-in prototype. They took it out for production for whatever reason, but I remember receiving a product briefing about it on one of my trips to Toyota HQ before the prototypes came out in 2010.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    but it may be the case with 50 ev miles, that they don't need much recharging during the day. what does chevy say about keeping the battery full all the time?

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    make sure it's upgradeable, or able to handle what your thinking of in the future, unless it would be less expensive to just replace it some day.

Trollbait likes this.
  13. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

looking at japanese info, it seems you can set climate control to work via mobile phone and also pre-set it in vehicle on that big screen.

トヨタ 新型プリウスPHV | トヨタ自動車WEBサイト

14. Boyelectric

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Danny and spwolf, I really hope it is true... Right now the English specs I read off Toyota's website only state that remote AC is possible on the Prius Prime.

"The climate control system can also operate without the engine on, with a heat pump that allows the system to cool or heat the cabin while driving in EV mode. The driver can activate the remote air conditioning system with an available key fob or smartphone app to cool the interior before entering the cabin."
    from: Prime Mover: Toyota Maxes Out Tech and Style in the World's Best-Selling Hybrid to Create the 2017 Prius Prime | Toyota

Seems like that would have been the paragraph to indicate remote heating.

I'd love to be wrong.

15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's possible that it's a Japan only option because they won't answer for regional specifics but when I asked in general, he said it'll allow for remote heating and cooling and it doesn't have to be plugged in.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    don't forget, toyota calls the entire hvac system 'air conditioning'.

Silver Pine Mica and TonyWilkey like this.
  17. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    If you don't mind the range loss, no reason any plug in can't pre-condition the cabin when not plugged in. If plugged in to a standard outlet, owners should allow time to charge and then precondition, because I suspect the car won't be able to do both at the same time very well if at all.

Car heat pumps were probably too pricey at the time of the gen1's release. With more models using them, that cost should have come down some in the intervening time.

I don't know if GM says anything about full charge, but as a PHEV the Volt likely has a larger buffer for protection against sitting fully charged in the heat than a BEV would.

Charge cycles are also another influence on battery life. All else being the same, a 40 mile plugin that uses the full 40 miles each day will inflict less battery abuse than a 20 mile plugin that charges up a second time to cover the same trip.

Disclosure, I am of the opinion that ICE PHEVs should try to avoid using public chargers. With limited chargers, and short range BEVs, I think it is better to leave the charger space open for a BEV that might need it to get home. You got an ICE, use it. If you got to the point where it didn't burn any gas, it will end up burning it just so fresh gas can be added. Might as well burn the gasoline and get useful work out of it at the same time.

Some EVSE units don't have to be hard wired in. Amazon has some that simply plug into a 15-40(an RV one) outlet. That's the fastest home charging a Tesla can use without having twin onboard chargers.

KrPtNk likes this.
  18. PriusPhilip

PriusPhilip Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah that would be an amazing option especially for me living in Canada.

19. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The reason GM recommends keeping the Volt plugged in is because the HVAC will turn on if necessary, to keep the battery in its happy zone. There have been times on really hot days, where I walked by the car and the A/C compressor was running to cool the battery.

20. bfd

bfd Plug-In Perpetuator

Close to SDSU in the Far Southwest Corner of Cali
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Living in the far Southwest Corner of the US has some obvious advantages as far as climate control goes. We get a few weeks of 30-40ºF mornings - in January/February. While heated seats help, it doesn't really warm up the interior. So in areas where there is really cold weather for 4-6 months a year, I can empathize with your frozen interiors. I think a heat pump will help - but at what price is probably the real question. Time will tell.