1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Heat pump, and remote AC, but no preheating???

Discussion in 'Prime Technical Discussion' started by Boyelectric, Mar 23, 2016.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    so you get the same miles per charge all year round?

no idea, i'm not a lawyer. we'll find out when we get to dig into the new o/m.

#61 bisco, Oct 9, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2016
  2. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That's irrelevant to what I said. I see this loss even once the engine has been fully warm for a long time, and I've tested it by coasting down a hill.

For example, in the summer, if I start at the top of that hill at 40mph and coast (clutch in), I'm at 52mph at the bottom. Same thing in the winter and I'm at 27 at the bottom - with the same tire pressure and with no wind.

In other words, it simply takes more energy to move when its colder. Not only is the air denser but tire rolling resistance is substantially higher.

3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Of course not, there are more variables outside of battery temperatures during charging and before driving off that reduce a car's efficiency in cold weather, but the system does allow more kWh into the battery from charging, and its charging and discharging efficiency will better at the beginning of a drive than if the battery temp was just kept above freezing.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    still, a difficult thing to pull off in a 27k vehicle.

5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That has been the heart of the problem with Volt, ever since the reveal way back in 2007. Doing all that was promised for "nicely under $30,000" defied logic. Yet, enthusiasts proclaimed it was realistic and attacked those who pointed out anything to the contrary.

6. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's an idea. EVSE/Block heater integration. Why not just have a single protected electrical source and eliminate the dangling extension cord thing on the other end of the car. Make it controllable (if installed) from the MFD and the remote apps. The heat-pump still has a minimum temperature below which you will need the ICE for heat and those are the temperatures where a block heater is good for reducing wear and tear on your engine too.

bisco likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  8. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Prius PHV already delivers a design that greatly exceeds what a traditional vehicle can deliver for reducing wear and tear on the engine. Prius Prime will improve upon that. Where's the benefit of going so far beyond need?