1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Heated Garage

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by SDunahugh, Dec 27, 2015.

1. SDunahugh

SDunahugh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello all, I am new to this forum (although I have came here and read posts many times before, for advice on different things)

I work in construction and bought a 07 base Prius 3 years ago and have been using it as a "work truck" ever since. Don't laugh you can get a 8' step ladder in the car and still close the hatch. its rated to carry 800lbs, so that is me + 600lbs of tools, and i never need that much stuff. (even loaded down i still get 45ish mpg in the winter and 50ish in the summer) 180,000 on it now and while it does use a very small amount of oil between changes it still runs great (100k on it when i bought it)

2 weeks ago I bought another 07 I think it is a 2 (key less and back up cam) My plan is Use it as a personal vehicle (sick of unloading tools just to go buy groceries) drive the "older one" till it dies then lay the backseat down on the "new" one and start over.

I didn't plan on buying a 2nd 07 but the Toyota dealer gave me to good of a deal on it so.....

anyhow enough about me, on to my question, I have a heated garage, normally i keep it set at 55ish deg. but with the 2nd car in there now and sitting a lot (mostly only driven on weekends) should I up the temp. to help keep the HV battery healthy and if so to what?

BTW this forum has been very helpful, and i should of said Hi sooner!
    Thanks
    Steve Dunahugh

Cyon Kim likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! no need to up the temp, it won't harm or help the battery. you may want to keep a battery tender on the 12 volt though. all the best!(y)

SDunahugh likes this.
  3. SDunahugh

SDunahugh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Garage is heated for work purposes there are things out there that don't tolerate Ohio winters well. So It was going to be heated anyhow, it was just a question of what Temp.

Thanks for the tip on the 12v batt. with it sitting 5days at a time not being driven I think I will stick a charger on it set on trickle charge

#3 SDunahugh, Dec 27, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
  4. SDunahugh

SDunahugh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    picture of what a 45-50 MPG work truck looks like

Attached Files:

bisco likes this.
  5. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
  6. SDunahugh

SDunahugh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    the installation instructions look a little intimidating

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I recall a Honda Owners Manual weighing in on heated vs non-heated garage, in particular for winter where there's snow and salted roads. Their suggestions:

If you drive infrequently a heated garage is advantageous. If however you're driving frequently, say daily, then unheated is better; a heated garage will tend to melt salty slush, promote more rusting.

8. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Welcome! The Magnetic Gray '07 here also gets used as a truck. Yours could be a package 1. In 2007, package 1 included smart-key and reverse cam. Package 2 adds Vehicle Skid Control.

This one used to live in a comfy, insulated garage tucked up to the house but since the rural move, it's in a cold, uninsulated and unheated metal building. The only thing I've noticed is that the tires freeze to the slab and it takes a little bit to get them unstuck. The systems of the car seem just fine though, although it's just a few degrees above zero F in there at times.

This one is also only driven once or twice a week and a healthy aux battery seems to do fine. Once every few months, I might plug in the battery maintainer overnight.