1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Heated seat questions

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by Wispity, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Wispity

Wispity New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Base
    Hey all! I just purchased a 2014 v (Canadian "Luxury" package). I was thrilled to find a used v with heated seats at a dealership, as they were one of my desired features since I drive hours at a time for work and have back pain. However, the brief test drive did not reveal that they seem to be terrible. I can tell that they're capable, because they're nice and warm for the first two minutes, but then they seem to turn off. They'll get pleasant again for one minute every 10 or 15 minutes, but the interval isn't predictable and sometimes they don't seem to come back on at all.

I'm guessing this is because the thing is trying to save power, but this is not an area in which I want it to do that! The manual very helpfully points out where the on/off buttons are and not much else. Is there anything I can do to hack this? Is there a sensor that I could cover up to convince the system that my butt needs more heat? (The manual did say not to put a blanket down as it might overheat -- so of course I tried this to try and get it to simply heat, but to no avail.)

I have been spoiled by my 2006 Jetta's heated seats that will cook me until I'm nice and toasty and limber, and I foolishly thought that all heated seats were created somewhat equal. Disappointed to find that I've sacrificed comfort to have a hybrid. Thanks for any tips anyone can provide!

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not sure. My 2010 Prius Liftback operates the same way - it cycles (but the interval is a bit more consistent and a bit more frequent than what you're describing. My commute is 15-20 mins and it definitely cycles more than once). It definitely is different from our 2002 Camry's heated seat which operates the way your Jetta does - stay on until you actually turn it off. It probably is a energy-saving thing. I'm hoping the newer models with dual-stage will take care of that interval programming.

As for configuring it or fooling it, I haven't seen anything here on PriusChat that I can remember.

3. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Have you tried using "POWER" mode? This increases use of many high energy draw functions like A/C and fan, so may bump up the seat heater duty cycle too.

4. Wispity

Wispity New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Base
    I'll try out power mode, thanks! Also reposting in the Gen 3 forum if this is a liftback issue as well.

5. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Maybe a temperature sensor regulating it, and it has a problem. Have you tried asking a Toyota dealer to check it? (Hopefully before any warranty expires).

6. Wispity

Wispity New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Base
    I think there must be a temperature sensor, rather than a timer, as it's been coming on more frequently since the weather's gotten a bit colder (still not enough). I keep the inside of the car around the same temperature, so I'm really wondering where the sensor is. I expect it's operating as intended (and I'm off warranty for those parts), but I hope my dealer has answers about how it works.

7. Norcal2

Norcal2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    My seats do the same they come on warm and cool off then warm again cycling may be part of the design..