1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Heated steering wheel retrofit

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Nor.Prius, Dec 10, 2021.

1. Nor.Prius

Nor.Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I’ve got a 2017 Prius 4 and the faux leather steering wheel got scuffed, so after a while of searching I ended up getting a good price on a brand new wheel from a 2019 Prius with the heated function. I’d like to get the heated function going if I can. Seems like a simple wiring harness unless there’s something I’m missing. Wondering if anyone has any experience with this. Thanks.

2. Storm88000

Storm88000 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I can't say for sure. But something tells me its a little more complex than adding a heated seat from a higher trim model to a lower trim (which is usually easy and I've done it in one of my Infinitis)

I would assume the non heated steering wheel vehicle is calibrated and/or connected to the ECU in some form and it may be more complex than just swapping the wheels and such. This is all a guess though. It seems too easy to just swap the wheels for it. Maybe call Toyota and ask them, don't go there or anything for it, but ask them if it's possilble and if they know what extra things you need (like wiring and wiring harnesses) etc

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If it were my project, I would just go straight to the wiring diagram (more info) and look. Sometimes all the wiring is there and you just plug the new thing in. Sometimes the wires are there but you'll need to add a fuse or relay somewhere, and sometimes there will be some wires missing in the lower trims.

Whatever the situation, you find out right there, and if there are any wires to add, you also find the pin numbers and repair-terminal part numbers to make the addition.

4. Daddychin

Daddychin New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I just bought a used heated steering wheel but noticed that the connector for the heater control needs to be connected to the clockspring, anyone have any luck yet? Might need to get the matching clockspring.

Attached Files: