1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Heater Cycling On and Off

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Keith Messick, Mar 12, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Keith Messick

Keith Messick New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    II
    2015 Prius-42k miles

The air coming out of the vents is cycling between hot and cool. It does not matter what the heater settings are (including A/C on or off) . If you adjust the heater temperate, it has a slight effect of changing the magnitude of the temperature of the air coming out of the vents. For example, if you increase the temperature, the air coming out of the vents will still cycle up and down, the range will be slightly higher. The cycling frequency is about 2-4 minutes up and then 2-4 minutes down.

An interesting note, in the past when the heater was turned up to high, I never thought that the temperature of the air was really very hot. Now, the "hot" air is very hot. I have 2 Prius' and in the past they both performed in a very similar fashion.

One last note, the catalytic converter was recently stolen on this car. I have replaced it with an "ebay" cat temporarily. It is throwing the P0420. I will eventually replace this with a quality cat to get rid of the CEL.

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Isn't there something on the Gen 3's catalytic converter that needs coolant running through it preheat or some kind of nonsense like that and the eBay replacement doesn't have that and those hoses get blocked off joined together something if I'm thinking of the right car anyway that may be where your heat problem lies. I certainly don't have this problem on my generation too It's either ice cold or whatever temperature I set it at in the winter I rarely go over 77 personally with the compressor not running in the winter In the summertime I'm turned down to low cold AC on and air recirculating as cold as it can get and it's ice cold in the car You get out pass out

3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    First step in HVAC diagnostics is replacing or removing cabin air filter, which is the most common location you'll find debris... Next step is to monitor engine temperature with an OBD2 reader and phone app. It's also possible the heating element is intermittent. The element is primarily for before engine temp heats up. Also listen to the engine compartment and under the dash for weird/malfunctioning noises as there's valves that manage your coolant flow. And you can check for some HVAC error codes on your console by holding down the info button while turning the headlights on and off 3 times.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Show me somebody who can even feel the difference the puny 700 watt supplemental element makes, or tell when it's on or off, and I'll show you someone who could probably also conduct a seance.

(In weather where the windshield is fogged or frosted, it does make a noticeable difference in clearing the windshield. The air coming out still doesn't feel noticeably different, but the windshield clears up faster.)

5. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Agreed, and I've never heard of intermittent heat... But you hear something new every day.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    hopefully not rodent debris.

7. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    After I turn the car on I back up and get out my driveway and I don't even turn the heat on until I get to the first stop sign It's about a half of a mile now obviously if the windows are completely fogged up I probably wiped them off while I'm getting in the car just because and then I leave the windows cracked while I'm going down to the stop sign so that the cabin stays cool and doesn't I don't fog it up breathing and then by the time I get to the stop sign down there and literally run the heat up to like 80 and put the fan on I'm getting warm air by then even in 32° weather It's not hot but it's warm and then when I turn onto the main road and start driving in the next 3 minutes it'll pretty much be full tilt It won't be staying on that 80 setting very long.