1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Heater Slow to Warm

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by thameslives, Dec 1, 2016.

1. thameslives

thameslives New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Hey y'all,

I've got a 2008 Prius Touring, and as winter is approaching here in MD, I've noticed that the heater is taking MUCH longer to start blowing warm air - at least 30 minutes of the engine running. The fan seems to be working just fine, but blowing cold air.

That said, at Jiffy Lube today they tried to sell me the coolant/radiator flush, which apparently I am WELL past due. I guess what I'm looking for here is the most common causes of that issue, and how likely it is that a $90 flush at JF will correct the problem.

Thanks in advance!

2. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Two things I'd check: thermostat (stuck) and coolant control valve (that can throw a trouble code).

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. Jeff64

Jeff64 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2008 stars out good then loses heat the longer it is on. Any ideas?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Your coolant level might be the problem. I would change the coolant.

You should probably not do it at jiffy lube, they probably don't have the correct coolant and they probably have no idea how to bleed the air out

#4 JC91006, Dec 1, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Before grabbing the wrenches, I'd plug in an OBD-II reader (any ought to do, coolant temperature is a standard parameter), and watch the coolant temp during that initial half hour when you're feeling cold air.

If the coolant temperature is really taking that long to warm up (to 80 C or so), get out the wrenches and look at the thermostat.

If the coolant is getting warm reasonably fast, but you still get little heat in the cabin, think about occluded passages (which that coolant flush might unblock somewhat).

Having the data first will help guide your direction.

-Chap