1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

heating/air con underwhelming ? 12v battery

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by cruising gal, Jan 5, 2022.

1. cruising gal

cruising gal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I have a 2014 Prius V and recently my heating and air con have been playing up. I'm not getting the heat I usually get and the aircon is underwhelming. It felt like the fan wasn't really working but the display was always showing 1/2 bars for that. In order to get some heat coming out I have to increase the temperature to 80+. It seems like the climate control is not working well. I've owned the car for almost 5 years so I am used to it in all seasons.
    The garage said that they think it's the blower motor. I'm not convinced and they've since told me that if it doesn't solve the problem they will refund me.
    Looking around the forum, I also decided to check the 12 v battery since I've never changed it and there are a couple of other little glitches going on.
    The car diagnostic menu in the display told me the battery is 11.9/12.0. Is it time to change it? Also could this be causing the climate control issues?

thanks!

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I would get a diagnosis from a dealer who has the proper scanner. Its likely the controls are bad but you could have air in the coolant, low refrigerant or a bad blower. Other things as well. Why guess?

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the battery is borderline, but i don't think it's your problem. have you looked at the cabin filter? maybe it is clogged.
    when tou increase/decrease fan speed, can you hear it change with each bar?

4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Once you are in Ready mode, the 12v battery rises dramatically due to the charging current. Usually over 14v at first dropping to maybe 13.4v if the battery is fully charged. A 12v battery reading of 11.9v when in ACC or ON modes is irrelevant to the climate control operation in the Ready driving mode.