1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Heatshield vs. Intro Tech vs. Covercraft UVS100

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by ST321, Jun 27, 2013.

1. ST321

ST321 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am about to buy a sunshade, and after reading thread after thread and review after review, this is what I've come up with: It's six one way and half a dozen the other... meaning, they all are about the same and get the job done, with no clear cut winner that is worth getting over the others. Would you say I am right? Please confirm or correct my assessment.

1. Heatshield rolls up, covers the two little windows on the sides (covering the little side corner windows may not matter as mine are tinted and most of my sun is overhead), but is bulky and cumbersome, 4-5 inches thick when rolled, has velcro, and has to be laid in the back seat or stowed in the cargo bay.

2. Intro Tech rolls up, is windshield only, rolled it may be slightly thinner than the Heatshield, has velcro, but still is somewhat hard to roll and stow.

3. Covercraft UVS100 is a foldable, windshield only, comes in some different, silvery colors, and is also a bit cumbersome to stow (I'm not sure if it can go under a seat).

All seem to be silvery on the outside, and lighter on the inside. The Covercraft actually claims to be a soft felt on the inside. All seem to have thick, foam insulation. All either claim (via manufacturer or reviewers) to drop the temp inside from 25-40 degrees. All seem to be somewhat hard to store, although I think the Heatshield may be a much thicker roll. All are precision cut to exactly my model of Prius, yet all seem to have reviewers that say: 1. they fit perfectly and they don't have to flip down the visors or 2. they are slightly short and need to flip down the visors or 3. they have trouble wedging the bottom part in between the dash and window....

So, am I off? The problem with reviews is that no one owns and reviews all three. The one that is owned is generally given great reviews and deemed 'the best ever' etc, while any of the other products may do the same job (or better).

I hope to see some response here before I go buy a sunshade. Thanks!

2. Blu-ray

Blu-ray Blizzard Brigade #215

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have the Heatshield and LOVE IT. It's so much better than those store bought ones that get all soft after awhile. This thing is sturdy and feels like it's going to last for quite some time. Yes it is kind of big rolled up but I'm fine with it. It does fit quite well and I don't have to put down the visors but I still do just to give it added support.

It works really well by the way. The thing feels like it has some insulation between the sliver and the backing.

3. ST321

ST321 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three

When the Heatshield is rolled up and velcro'd, how many inches wide in diameter is the tube it forms?

4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Depends how tightly you roll it up. ;)

The tighter you roll it, the more you will soften the foam insulation so it won't be as rigid later. Whether that will cause the insulation to be less effective and if it will cause the shield to potentially sag later in life do to the flexibility you induced remains to be seen, and possibly debated.

We just roll it loosely and either stow it in the rear footwell, on the retractable storage shelf cover, or in the cargo area and don't obsess over how thick it is. :)

5. bathala

bathala Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I'm also planning to purchase the sunshade soon. Comparing the 3 brands in Amazon, Heatshield is the bestselling and highest rated, followed by Covercraft then Intro-Tech. The more people who buy the product means they are willing to take a chance on it and if they rate it high means they are satisfied with their purchase.

6. ST321

ST321 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah, everyone seems to like what they have. I have the solar roof and being in Vegas, that thing alone makes a huge difference in the interior heat level. Adding any sunshade at all should really make a difference.

It's 107 degrees outside right now, and by this weekend it should be 116 or so. With heat like this, I do not regret having fabric seats!

7. wotcher

wotcher Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    i vote heatshield. i purchased 3 already. its very difficult to roll up with the existing velcro. solution - find a 99 store or something and get another piece of velcro to extend the length. it won't fit under seat. i just toss it into the rear seats without rolling it up.

and i urge you to buy the heatshield from danny and priuschat. it helps support this great site. it is almost the same price as amazon. vote with your wallet.

crazy heat! have you looked into tinting your windshield with air blue 80 or huper optik? those two are almost unnoticeable unless you're looking for them. i have tinted windows, huper, solar fan, and the heat shield. so far, my car has been very bearable in socal heat.

8. bathala

bathala Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I agree and they do not charge shipping and sales tax unlike Amazon. Their website also states that give discount to PC members. Do you know how much discount they provide?

9. wotcher

wotcher Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    i think the discount expired a long time ago. it suspect it wasn't much of a dealbreaker.

10. ST321

ST321 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have tint now from the dealer, but am going to either tint over it or strip and retint it with 3M Crystalline. The darkest is only 40%, but it keeps out 60% of heat. That will go on all side and rear windows. I will do 70% on my front window (50% of heat) and 90% on my moonroof (34% of heat, I think). 3M Crystalline was the most effective non-metal tint I could find.

I've got amazon prime, so there is often free two day shipping, and I'm not charged tax. I don't think the heatshield is a 'prime' item, but even so if I get one I will be sure to do so through this site to support it!

I appreciate you guys chiming in on this.

11. Nervous

Nervous Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've used the Covercraft UVS100 in every vehicle I've owned for the past ~15 years. I love the product. The materials and craftsmanship are high quality. The heat reduction is dramatic due to the vehicle specific fit. Storage has never been an issue.

NOTE: I usually store the UVS100 on the ground behind the drivers seat when not in use.

12. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    +!
    The PC Heatshield is very sturdy- I've been using mine for over a year now- it's still like new.
    Highly recommended....

13. ST321

ST321 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just ordered the Heatshield from the PriusChat Shop. We will see how fast it gets here. Yesterday was brutally hot, possible record setting. Tomorrow is supposed to be 118.

One last question- any of you that use sun shades on your front windows also have front windshield tinting, and if so, is there a danger of the sunshade messing up that tint over time?

14. ImeanGreen

ImeanGreen Prius v Five BP Brigade #236

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Don't forget when using the Heatshield, always face west. It has worked for me better this way when heat is brutal.

15. bathala

bathala Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Ordered the Heatshield from PC Store on 7/8 and received it yesterday. Shipping to delivery took only one day - Impressive. Found out from the tracking # that the manufacturer is on the next city from where I live. :LOL:

16. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I use one of those types that roll up into a frisbie size, nice and compact. Even though it is jumbo sized it is just a little small. Does anyone know of one like this that fits better?

iPad ? HD

17. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  18. ST321

ST321 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So... after owning the heatshield, I have to say this thing is SUPER cumbersome to roll and/or store. I really don't want to stow it in the trunk area... when I don't have a passenger, it's okay, I guess.

I will keep trying to use it, but may switch... I will report my experiences here.

19. davekro

davekro Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ST321, So has has your use of the Heatshield worked out. Has it become any less cumbersome as you got used to it? Have your changed to one you feel is easier to deploy and store?
    WOW, BLACK car in Vegas... brave man!;)

I am concerned if any sun shade is too much bother, my wife won't even use it (it's her commuter). They don't have much affect sitting in the back seat. I think I saw someone that used two separate round thin colapsible shades. Sure, when installed they do not block as much heat due to thin material and not covering all parts of the window... But if this system would actually get used, then it's better than anything that stays in the back seat. We are in the valley in north calif, not Vegas, but high 90's and occasional 100 F in summers.

20. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    quote="davekro, post: 1936688, member: 118591"]I am concerned if any sun shade is too much bother, my wife won't even use it (it's her commuter). They don't have much affect sitting in the back seat. I think I saw someone that used two separate round thin colapsible shades. Sure, when installed they do not block as much heat due to thin material and not covering all parts of the window... But if this system would actually get used, then it's better than anything that stays in the back seat. We are in the valley in north calif, not Vegas, but high 90's and occasional 100 F in summers.[/quote]

Try a super jumbo magic shade. $11 at Amazon. http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31bEjMfN4vL._SL500_.jpg

BluetoothEdsel and davekro like this.