1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

heavy rain + lights

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by JConner7, May 19, 2020.

1. JConner7

JConner7 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a 2009 Gen 2 Prius
    Alright Prius homies, today I drove through massive puddles while it was pouring to get gas. My parking brake light, VSC light, exclamation light (not tire pressure light), and ABS light came on coupled with a high pitched noise. My brakes are also very stiff. This happened as soon i turned on my car from getting gas, EVERYTHING was fine before.

I had this problem in April, but a mechanic did brake wiring and said my ABS control module cap was off. They thought it was the abs control module entirely, but it wasn’t. I have driven at least 300 miles in the since then - nothing happened.

Any idea? A sensor? Computer all wonky?

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

Are there any OBD2 codes (DTCs) that you can share with us?

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The timing is likely coincidental with respect to the getting of gas. The problem existed before, what the mechanic did wasn't a fix, and it may involve something intermittent getting jostled when you went through the big puddles.

Ordinarily when you read the trouble codes from the brake system (which is what you should do here), there are a couple hundred possibilities for what codes you'll get. Here we can narrow it down because you also had the high-pitched alarm. That doesn't come on for all trouble codes, but chiefly the ones involving loss of assist pressure. You also directly noticed the loss of assist pressure ("my brakes are also very stiff"). So the computer isn't crazy, it's telling you real stuff.

If you do not have a code reader, you can get basic two-digit trouble codes out of the brake system by using a short jumper wire and counting blinks on the dash lights. There are threads here that cover that.

If you do have access to a code reader, use that; it's faster, easier, and will give you more information.

Either way, if you post the codes here, you can get more advice.

Keep closely in mind that you can have a code showing your brake actuator isn't maintaining pressure and still not mean that the actuator itself is the problem or that you should buy a new one to fix it. There can be other things causing the problem, such as wiring, connectors, or relays. In fact, the intermittent nature of this problem suggests those kinds of other things. Those can be a lot simpler and cheaper to fix, so you should make sure proper troubleshooting is done to find where the problem really is, before anybody talks you into expensive parts replacement.

An old post here (though it is specific to Gen 1, not your Gen 2) will give you an idea of how closely the car's computers monitor the brake components, and how much useful information they can give you if you ask.

4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Massive puddles or small lakes?
    Are all of your flaps and panels intact?

As mentioned above, you need a code reader.
    These days there is really NO excuse not to have one since they are VERY inexpensive and you can use the interwebs for access to knowledge and advice.