1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

heavy vibration of engine on idle

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Umar Ali, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Umar Ali

Umar Ali Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    can i find it at autozone or walmart?

2. Umar Ali

Umar Ali Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    i bought throttle body cleaner from autozone but it said it may damage the plastic components, now im scared of using that since the air intake is all plastic.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would use brake parts cleaner on the metal components, and paint thinner on the plastic intake manifold. The throttle body cleaner would be OK on metal components that need a little lubrication, which is not the case with the pipes that you'll be cleaning.

This would be a great time for you to also replace the PCV valve as it is nicely exposed with the removal of the intake manifold.

#23 Patrick Wong, Jun 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
  4. Umar Ali

Umar Ali Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    What is PCV valve what does it do and why it needs to be changed?.
    After driving for 10 minutes or so, the dash threw check engine light. i checked the code and it is P0441 and it is Evaporative Emission System Incorrect Purge Flow. dont know what possibly kicked that. i also reset the mpg meter to check if there is improvement but the MPG drastically dropped instead of improving after carbon cleanup. What i might be missing here?

5. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) valve is used to ventilate the engine crankcase for emissions control reasons. It should be replaced when the odometer reaches 100K miles. The valve tends to get clogged over time as HC deposits form within.

The DTC P0441 probably was logged because the fuel tank has a hose which takes hydrocarbon vapors, passes them through the charcoal canister, and then leads to the intake manifold for combustion by the engine - and that hose is not properly connected to the manifold. So look for a loose or missing hose that connects to the intake manifold, near where the throttle body is mounted.

All gaskets that had been disturbed with removal of the EGR plumbing and the intake manifold should be replaced with new gaskets. You do not want any unmetered air entering the intake manifold, or exhaust system leaks.

#25 Patrick Wong, Jun 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  6. Umar Ali

Umar Ali Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Sounds like you know what you are talking about lol. so the only gasket i noticed was the manifold gasket which is orange rubber kind you can see in pictures. i made sure all the hoses are connected and clamps were back on them but i will double check in the morning. Now for PCV , any idea how much it costs and is there the item code for it which i can give to the dealer.?

7. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This in particular looks bad. Where exactly is it?

Capture.JPG

Is it either at the intake manifold, or EGR valve, connecting to this pipe?

Capture01.JPG

I assume so, but not sure exactly.

9. Umar Ali

Umar Ali Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    that is the manifold. black piece with orange gaskit is where the solver pipe connects. dont know which way air flows. i did get the check engine light, i cleared it yesterday but it came back on today after few miles. i visually inspected all visible hoses and everything looked fine to me i dont see any weak link for hoses. but i am going to open up everything again and repack to make sure i dont have any leak in any hose and see if the code goes away.

10. Umar Ali

Umar Ali Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    After putting everything together after cleaning the carbon deposits i reset the trip meter to check if the MPG improved. But after 25 miles of driving the MPG is at 34.8 which is the lowest i ever had on this prius. I think something messed really bad while carbon cleaning but dont know what it is.

11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Are you thinking per Patrick, that it's air leak due to disturbed gasket? Pretty frustrating tho, if all interfaces clean and gaskets look fine.

What about mechanic's trick: spray WD40 at joints, and if engine speed varies it indicates it's being sucked in there.

12. Umar Ali

Umar Ali Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It sure is frustrating and hard labor. so what actually WD40 trick is and how does it work? any DIY or better explanation of process please

13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Spray WD40 where there could be leak, at joints, gaskets. Engine rpm drops (or raises?), it's a sign the WD40 sucked in, there's an air leak there.

14. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How would that method work on an engine with closed-loop control of engine speed?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  15. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would advise using caution when spraying on hot surfaces, for example EGR plumbing. Potential fire hazard.
    The assumption is that the leak is sufficiently large so that the engine ECU cannot manage the air/fuel ratio and the engine speed within desired parameters, hence a drivability issue is noticed. If the engine ECU was able to manage those parameters then the OP would not be concerned about a fuel economy problem.

In post #24 the OP reported a new DTC having to do with the fuel tank emissions control. This is highly indicative that the hose from the fuel tank to the intake manifold which carries HC vapor is either loose or damaged.

#35 Patrick Wong, Jun 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  16. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'll abdicate, to folks here who actually know what they're talking about, lol.

18. Umar Ali

Umar Ali Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So finally i had a chance yesterday to open up again to see if i left something, and guess what?i did leave one of the hose unplugged. i plugged it back and put everything back together fired it up cleared the codes and now i had 2 different codes. i was scratching my head and checked the engine bay again and noticed i forgot to plug the cable back for the air sensor. plugged it back cleared codes again and it cleared. drove it for about 20 miles so far and everything seems to be normal now. the vibration is still there though. the MPG is also not very good, i am driving very carefully but still getting just 40 to 42 range in city.

19. Umar Ali

Umar Ali Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    i am also planning to replace PCV as advised by patrick whenever i have some free time again.

20. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The iridium spark plug change interval is at 120K miles. If this has not been done yet, do that now. You should not wait for a misfire DTC to be logged, to replace the spark plugs. You also should clean the throttle body interior and throttle plate, and the MAF sensor as suggested above.

The coolants should be replaced although failure to replace will not cause the particular problem you have noticed. The point of replacing the coolant is to prolong the life of the aluminum engine, inverter, and transaxle.