1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hell -Red Triangle after coolant inverter replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by CarmanNJ, Sep 19, 2016.

1. CarmanNJ

CarmanNJ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2005 Prius gen II
    I replaced the coolant inverter. Seems like a whole lot of fluid came out - a gallon or so as I lost some.
    Followed youtube and instructions in this portal to bleed with the inverter on. Then with the engine on.
    With max heat, and without the max heat on.

Then I test drive and took it around the hilly roads and the red triangle seems to pop for 10-20 seconds and then go away. At the same time the "over heat light" comes on and then off. I drive it back home and bleed, but no bubbles.I have done this 5-6 times already. Its consistent on up hill travel.

I "may" have an air pocket/bubble stuck somewhere. How to fix this, should I raise the front of the car and bleed? Help

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. You need to be clear about whether you replaced the engine coolant or the inverter/transaxle coolant.
    2. If you replaced the inverter/transaxle coolant then the engine does not need to be on when bleeding the air out, while the cabin heater has nothing to do with the system - so it does not matter what temperature the cabin heater is set at.
    3. Since you say that a gallon of coolant came out, I assume that you drained the engine coolant.
    4. If my #3 assumption is correct, did you refill the engine radiator? It is not sufficient just to fill the reservoir tank.
    5. If my #3 assumption is incorrect, do you see fluid turbulence in the inverter coolant reservoir?

edthefox5 likes this.
  3. CarmanNJ

CarmanNJ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Patrick:
    Thanks for you reply. Here below are my answers to your queries.
    1. I replaced the inverter/transaxle coolant along with the failed pump( P1121). It drained close to 4+ quarts
    2. ACK.
    3. Nope, Inverter side only
    4. No, did not fill or drain the engine side at all
    5. I do see turbulence in the inverter coolant reservoir.

As I mentioned, I have been bleeding the inverter coolant looking for bubbles, at first there were many, now hardly any. Yet the ALERT come on after driving uphill.

Thanks for taking the time to respond

4. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Have you checked the engine oil level, while on level ground?

Have you checked the coolant level in the radiator itself? Air got introduced into the engine cooling loop somehow, despite you believing otherwise.

To drain the coolant for the inverter/transaxle, you just removed the inverter coolant bolt on the transaxle?
    You did NOT open the valve on the CHRS (Coolant Heat Recovery Storage) tank?

5. CarmanNJ

CarmanNJ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Yes, I drained and removed the coolant bolt on the transaxle and did NOT touch the CHRS.
    The coolant level in the radiator and radiator reservoir are fine. I recognize that these are two separate systems.

edthefox5 likes this.
  6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    P1121 is not in the inverter coolant loop. If you replaced that valve and drained all the coolant, that would be the engine coolant that was drained. You did not drain the inverter coolant

edthefox5 likes this.
  7. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    JC caught it. Replacement of the 3-Way coolant control valve, due to DTC P1121, effects the engine cooling loop. You still have air in the engine loop. Time to get the factory service manual so you will know what you are doing. You thought you knew and refernced You Tube videos, only to learn otherwise. 2 day subscription to Toyota TIS (Technical Information System) is only $15 for a 2 business day subscription. Lots of info about accessing TIS is readily available by searching.

It sounds like you corrrectly drained and filled the inverter cooling loop.

8. CarmanNJ

CarmanNJ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Correction, I miswrote above.
    I drained the coolant from under the ICE (15/16 socket) the bolt next to the transaxle fluid.
    Then I replaced the coolant control valve along with the coolant, and then refilled the inverter coolant as it was drained initially and further when I replaced the valve. So now I am very concerned, I think that I

P1121 - Coolant Control Valve Replacement (with pics) | PriusChat
    Whaaaaat?
    I am being schooled. Please tell me more.
    • What did I do wrong?
    • How do I fix the air in engine cooling loop.

9. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Prius30K-004.jpg
    The coolant that was drained, was drained from the transaxle (think transmission). You just performed a drain and fill of the Inverter cooling loop. You also seem to have correctly bleed the air out of this loop.

Cooling Loop-Inverter.jpg Prius radiator.jpg
    The engine and inverter cooling loop are two separate and independent loops. Even the radiator was built for this on the Gen2 Prius: two independent cooling loops within one radiator.

Cooling Loop-CHRS.jpg
    Replacing the 3-way coolant control valve affects the engine cooling loop, as the picture illustrates.

Given that you just performed a drain & fill of the inverter, you probably should just do a drain & fill for the engine coolant loop. If you do not already know, the coolant drain & fill interval is 10years/100K miles on the factory fill (think new car). Then it is 5years/50K miles, unless you choose otherwise.

And you should be concerned. You are calling things by the wrong names and allude to the same refill spot for two different cooling systems. Did you refill the Inverter loop at the Inverter reservoir? You know that small opaque bottle, in the middle of the car, to the left (if facing the windshield) of the big silver square thing (the Inverter) that has a Toyota logo and says "Hybrid Synergy Drive"?

Are you aware that the radiator overflow bottle is under the black plastic engine cover, in front of the radiator, left of center? After changing the 3-way coolant control valve, where did you add the replacement coolant?

QUOTE="CarmanNJ, post: 2423224, member: 126030"]
    • What did I do wrong?[/QUOTE]
    Its hard to guess b/c you are calling things by the wrong name and addlude to the same refill spot for TWO different cooling system loops.

1) Getting the Factory Service Manual would be an excellent start.
    Toyota - New Subscription
    You will be better off getting a two (business) day subscription to Toyota TIS (Technical Information System), for $15. You will have access to the factory manual. It is an invaluable investment, just like getting the hacked Techstream and mini VCI. Pretty much any and all of your questions on "How do I ...," will be answered. Good diagrams, torque values, diagnosis codes, decent step by step instructions, trouble shooting trees; far superior to Haynes/Chilton. Supposedly if you start your subscription on a Friday (say 5PM), it will end on Monday (4:59PM). Copies of the manual are supposedly floating around in cyberspace. $15 is a small price to pay to for an authentic copy; who knows if the copies floating around have not been maliciously altered or are complete.

This person discovered how to save the CHM format into a PDF format. Toyota TIS download tips | PriusChat More power to you if you know how to preserve the CHM format.

2) Sadly, you seem disinterested in going the factory manual route. Questions would have been answered and your knowledge enhanced.

Continue the Internet search for answers/videos.

This link may be useful for you: Changing engine coolant | PriusChat
    It will likely require some note taking as some posts will not be relevant to your needs.

3) Acquire Techstream and mini VCI. A very useful tool.

#9 exstudent, Sep 19, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2016