1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hello again... (also, need help)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Teh_Danzor, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Teh_Danzor

Teh_Danzor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello PriusChat. Long time, no see, eh? Disappeared for a while due to becoming extremely busy, after I switched from an art degree to computer engineering. Sadly, though, I have more serious matters to discuss first and foremost.

Today, I went out with some friends, after class. I was, of course, their ride. I went back to drop them off at their cars at the end of the day, and I turned the car off, since we had to transfer some things that we had bought for a upcoming holloween party. When I turned my car back on, the master warning and check engine lights came on, along with an MFD error saying "Problem" along with what I believe was the hybrid system error symbol (thinking retrospectively, mind you). I turned the car off and back on a few times, each getting the same result. Finally about the 4th time, it started up just fine. I was able to drive home just fine, with no noticable difference in vibrations, sounds, and handling. After I got home, I checked my coolant and oil levels; all were at their full values.

Oh, also, something potentially noteworthy. My car came with the HID bulb package. One bulb, the driver's side, is slightly dimmer and more yellow than the other. At times the light goes out, and the only way to reignite it is by turning the headlights off and then back on. This lead me to believe that it was just an old bulb, as there was no flickering. It does has done this rarely, with the exception for today; it kept going out, to the point where it became a slight annoyance to reignite.

Any ideas on what it could be, and what I could do? (Other than taking it in, since I plan on doing so. =P)

Ooops... forgot to mention, it's a 2005 Prius.

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  3. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Your HID bulb is dead. Not on its way out, but completely dead.

4. Teh_Danzor

Teh_Danzor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah yes, the voltage reported was 13.9V in "ready" mode.

5. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Need to know what it is when the car is not READY. When it is READY, you are reading the inverter output.

6. Teh_Danzor

Teh_Danzor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okee, sorry about that. 12.5V

7. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    If it is 12.5 volts after sitting over night and before you put it in ready, that is not low voltage.

8. Teh_Danzor

Teh_Danzor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    After sitting for the night, the voltage was 12.3V in ACC mode. I turned it to READY and had it sit, observing its operation. I noticed that there is a slight flicker to both headlights. The yellowed drivers side would go out, as usual, and then some time later, the slightly blue passenger side one would go out. The only way to reignite was to turn the lights off and then back on. I've only had problem with the driver's side until this point. Could both HIDs be bad, or could all of this be indicative of some sort of deeper electrical problem?

9. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    12.3v after sitting and in ACC should be fine. It is below nominal, but above the worry range. Without abuse, it may last a few more years.

Your HID bulbs are dead. Read this: Not all HID Bulbs are created equal | PriusChat

10. Teh_Danzor

Teh_Danzor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, thanks. :) It's just that I read that if there's any flickering at all, that there was a problem with the ballast or something, thus the source of my confusion. I'd rather it be a bulb, though, than an electrical problem. :p
    Thanks for the link. It makes sense now, seeing the manufacture and operation of the bulbs. :D

11. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There is a possibility of a bad ballast. And this is actually more and more probable the longer you (or the previous owner) keep those bad bulbs in there. Every time you flick them on and off to re-ignite you are slightly damaging the ballasts. If you have been doing this for months, you could be looking at new ballasts and new bulbs but the problem was that it was run on bad bulbs for so long.

12. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Also as for the engine thing, what you did was clear the codes. After a fault where the big triangle of death lights up, it is logged in the ECU. Starting and stopping the car 3-5 times clears all codes. Next time it happens, read the codes with a CAN scanner. Or take it to Autozone or somewhere where they do free code readouts. Don't put it off until later because after you start it a few times, the codes will be clear and you will never know what caused it.

13. Teh_Danzor

Teh_Danzor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh, I see. I'll keep this in mind, and be on the watch. The bulb problem I've had for quite some time, and Toyota didn't help at all. They just turned the lights on, saw that they were on, and told me that didn't appear to be a problem. So, unfortunately, I've sat on the problem for a while. I'll try to avoid flicking them like that again, until I get new ones.