1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hello! Almost a Prius v newbie - 1st Question!

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by jjtrindc, Feb 18, 2013.

1. jjtrindc

jjtrindc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    So happy to have found this forum. At long last, we are making the jump to purchasing our first hybrid. We've had our eye on Prius v 5 and took our first test drive today. It's important for us to get a hybrid, and with two kids, we need the extra cargo room as an excuse to leave our minivan in the garage whenever possible.

I'll clearly state that we are super excited about the Prius v, but as a consumate product researcher, I do want to do my due diligence. So my question is whether there is anything comparable in the hybrid category that can offer similar cargo space and experience that we should at least look at. I saw the Ford C Max getting rave reviews, but it looks like a pretty small trunk.

Thanks for indulging my question!

2. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Depends on price, Toyota Highlander Hybrid, Toyota Camry Hybrid, Toyota Avalon hybrid, Kia hybrid, Hyundai hybrid. But for the combo of fuel economy and space you are making a very good choice.

3. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I chose the Prius"v" on the basis of nearly 14 years of the company's experience with hybrids.

Over three generations of the Prius, I can see how they have employed "cutting edge" and expensive component designs in the frst generations; only to redesign the same systems components for simpler, less expensive, easier to service, less costly and more reliable components.

The "v" uses proven relatively inexpensive proven Nickel Metal Hydride batteries, while the C Max uses Lithium Ion batteries. Everyone has heard of the problems with Lithium Ion batteries in laptops and teh current Boeing 787 Dreamliner.

Maybe, in 10 years, the Lithium Ion battery will have proven track record like the Prius' NiMH batteries.

As for me, I'll stick with the Prius hybrid system.

4. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The C-max is probably the closest, but not really close for interior space, as you've observed.
    Browse feully.com to get a good idea of how the vehicles compre for real life fuel mileage as well.

We bought the Prius hatch instead, last March. What impressed me most was the mileage I scored right "out of the box".

5. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Mileage isn't everything.

The Ford C Max "Echo Boost" engine uses a rubber timng belt bathed in engine oil. Most timing belts need to be changed at about 90k miles.

The 1.8 liter Toyota engine usd on the Prius has a timing chain system of proven reliability and many years of production.

6. jlaibson

jlaibson Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm still coveting the Prius v myself - which would be my first hybrid. I test drove the C-Max. I must say it drove very nicely, but you can easily find reports that the mpg is nowhere near what they publish, and the cargo space is MUCH smaller than the v. They really should be comparing it to the regular Prius - I think if you check the cargo volume it's actually pretty similar to the Prius. I think they purposefully compared it to the v so the mpg would look better. I was really disappointed to hear about the real-world mpg. I also like the proven Prius reliability. Now I just need to win the Lotto so I can afford the 5 with ATP.

Chazz8 likes this.
  7. cinder's mom

cinder's mom Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I just went from a Prius reular--2008 to the V (5) and everything I found convinced me the Prius V is the most reliable, best milage, safest, and most convenient choice. I also accosted people driving them and they were very happy with their choices. I managed to carry incredible amounts of things in my reg P so I am expecting not even having to think about packing in the V.

8. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    The Prius has 30% to 60% more cargo room than the C-Max. And better MPG in the real world.

The C-max is quieter and accelerates faster.

Pick what is important to you.

9. Nicaaz

Nicaaz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    N/A
    You're going to get bias answers here.

I just purchased my Prius V in Toronto, Can't wait to put more KM in it. Yay!

10. ems2158

ems2158 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I test drove a C-Max and Prius v in December 2012. I bought the Prius v.
    Factors that influenced my decision:
    1. The C-Max was going to cost $3,000 more with similar equipment. It seems that because the C-max had a few good reviews and better EPA numbers, the Ford dealer felt he could get his price.
    2. Prius has proven reliability. Ford not so much.
    3. C-Max does not have a spare tire but a can of fix-a-flat. I've been in enough situations where a damaged tire and fix-a-flat would have me calling for a tow truck and stranded without a car for a few days waiting for the right tire to be ordered.
    4. The Prius has more luggage capacity. The C-Max has the ridiculous 2" bump up in the cargo floor that just screams indifferent engineering.
    The C-Max did drive a bit better and was a little quieter.

Chazz8 likes this.