1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hello. Does your Prius have a name?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by hellochicken, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Data Daedalus

Data Daedalus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My UK 2008 Prius Tspirit is simply called “The Spaceship”. However, at the local dealership, the mechanics tend to call it “Triple X”, on account of it’s registration number.

Paradoxically, I did consider calling it Sea Dragon Triple X-Ray (as the “private” registration number seems to fully denote), but it’s not green in colour, and few people would understand unless they were closely linked to the forces (I’m not - but have the greatest respect for them).

Why “The Spaceship”?. I recall seeing the dashboard lit up at night for the first time. I was instantly reminded; first of the cockpit of the white winged Pan-am Orion Shuttle from 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Secondly, I was reminded of the Command Console of a Star Trek Shuttlecraft (ST: Next Generation). The fact I could give voice commands and get verbal confirmation to my commands just blew me away - and every so often, still does.

Finally, I realised that the best piloting dynamics for getting the best MPG out of the vehicle (I’ve stopped calling it a common car a long time ago), closely mimic flying a Spaceship!

Take “pulse and glide” for example. I do that a lot. Using my eyes and brain as radar sensors, I’ve gotten pretty nifty at calculating how much ICE thrust is needed to keep moving on stretches of road in a wide range of scenarios - and crucially, when to invoke MECO (main engine cut off), and allow “The Spaceship” to be propelled purely on its own momentum - till the next point where another “thruster burn” might need to be engaged. And all this done without being an annoying hindrance on the roads . ICE propulsion pulses are carefully controlled so as to not waste energy unnecessarily, and once the HSD is at optimum (nominal?) operational temperatures. It is exploited to ensure as high MPGs as possible, when it is brought online.

I realised I look out for downward slopes in the road, and ruthlessly exploit then - now virtually without even thinking.

In a peculiar Zen manner, I have become one with “The Spaceship”, augmenting it’s operations with my brain, and I have completely changed my driving style from what would have benefited a non hybrid car.

Basically, I treat the HSD propulsion system like I have a primary rocket engine (ICE) and impulse thrusters (EV motors). It works for me too!

Last tankful was 576 miles (UK) @ 63.9mpg (43 litres) - and I certainly wasn’t driving like “Miss Daisy”.....

iPhone ?

2. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    And I thought you might have been associated with HMS Daedalus when I first saw your handle, LOL.

But, (sorry about starting my sentence with conjunctions) I'm glad you have booked with your machine so closely. Wish I could have said it as eloquently, because that's how I've started to drive mine. There must be many more on here doing much the same thing either knowingly, subconsciously, or unconsciously. No, I didn't mean driving under the influence of sleep!

#62 RCO, Oct 14, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
    Data Daedalus and Prodigyplace like this.
  3. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This thread reminds me of a Prius I saw at the 2GoB4 meeting here on the east coast back in Sept 2014, where an enthusiast had tricked-out his Gen II in StarshipFederation paint scheme and added many extras (sound-effects, flashing lights, decals, etc. etc.) :eek: Amazing job and very detailed! I can't remember his name, and have been searching (with no success) for the brochure and biz-card he gave me! I think there was a web-site too! Anyone else remember that, or was it just a figment of this over-active imagination? Help me, here, folks! :)

Data Daedalus and Prodigyplace like this.
  4. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I remember seeing pictures online. How about these links?

Prius Becomes Star Trek Shuttle

5. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Great! That's the one! When I saw it in 2014 it was sporting some really cool low-drag "Moon" wheel-covers! (I think that's what he called them) Thanks for the link! ;)

Data Daedalus, Prodigyplace and RCO like this.
  6. nednvermont

nednvermont Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    First 2007 Gen 2 green Prius was named 'Gaston' (with an outrageous French accent).

The new 2017 Gen 4... I'm toying with 'Astro' from The Jetsons fame. It's so futuristic looking. Gotta be something to do with that. Maybe 'Hal,' though that might not work out for me in the long run! :eek:

Automobiles have such personalities. My parents named all their cars, and I've carried on the tradition.

Data Daedalus and RCO like this.
  7. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Our youngest daughter used to name ALL ours, but now she's married and left home - not so much.

Data Daedalus likes this.
  8. GregC1979

GregC1979 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Just on your way to Costco and decided to buy a Prius...hmm, that's a new one.

ckam1989, Data Daedalus and RCO like this.
  9. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I happened quite by chance to find this here on PriusChat:
    Doc Willie | PriusChat
    …the man himself! ;)

Data Daedalus, RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  10. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Love their signature!

2207 Prius-class Shuttlecraft, Level 5 technology

Exterior: Starfleet Graphics; Antigrav Generators; Velocity Transducer Disks
    Performance: Toroidal Velocity Transducer Resize; Auxiliary Engineering Computer; Intermix Pre-Heater; Structural Integrity Reinforcement; Stealth Mode
    Interior: Main Screen Security Access w/ In-flight Stellar Cartography; Aft Motion Warning System Upgrade; Weapons and Engineering Controls

And a link: Classified Starfleet Document

EDIT: Here is a photo of what you probably saw.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]\\[​IMG]

11. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Dig those crazy "Moon" wheel-covers (…although, as with many other things, I prefer the "nekkid" look! :eek: ) ;)

Data Daedalus and RCO like this.
  12. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not just on the wheels, I hope! :cool: