1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hello everyone! Proud new Prius owner here

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Katrina O, May 16, 2015.

1. Katrina O

Katrina O Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This last week I bought a 2008 Touring model, Package 6 (I was told - she seems to have all the available options, but I will miss the heated seats I had in my old Passat!). She is black and has 89,000 miles.

Haven't driven her much but so far have been pretty happy with the MPG (yesterday's average was 51 for a relatively short trip :) - I figured out the gliding thing pretty quickly just watching how the gauge responds while driving, something I occasionally did in the Passat anyway tho I have no idea how accurate the car's running mpg numbers were). I've been spending way too much time engaging my inner geek and reading about the car,need to spend more time on the road! Really looking forward to not having to visit a gas station on an almost-weekly basis.

Today my project is getting a hold of the correct Q-clips so I can put my Yakima rack on her, and get ready to carry my bike - and more importantly my sea kayak :) ). It will be interesting to see how much just having the roof rack on affects MPG, although I haven't had her long enough without the rack to really be able to judge the difference I suppose.

I saw a mention on this forum that the Touring model gets worse MPG. Is this true, and if so, about how much worse? I didn't set out specifically looking for a Touring model, but found a great deal on a car with all the options I wanted that happened to be that model - and I liked the better handling (didn't really care about the spoiler or wheel size). Any other differences with the Touring model that I should be aware of?

Thanks to all for any info/help - I'm enjoying reading all sorts of informative posts on this forum, and am sure I'll be back with more queries in the not-too-distant future!

Katrina

Burna J likes this.
  2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you lower your mileage expectations to let's say 45 mpg, then you should be a happy camper and never have to look how many miles you are getting compared to others. The touring is great

3. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome to PriusChat, an amazing place for all Prius-related information! I bought the ChuggyPig (see threads passim and my photo albums) which is a 2009 Gen II with touring package (88,000 on the odometer) back in January 2014, and here we are 11,000 miles later, still getting 56+ mpg (most recent fill-up), 44.6 average since purchase, worst was 34 back in February (bear in mind the gas formula changes with the seasons). Those figures are based on my calculations of miles driven, and gas added, and they're pretty close to those shown by the computer in the car. (…and never forget that your mileage might vary! :rolleyes: )
    BTW: I run the tyre pressures on ChuggyPig at 46(F) and 44(R) - some folk say it makes a difference! (see previous parenthesized comment!) …also what name? - Wil

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats, all the best!(y)

5. PriusIndia

PriusIndia Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model: