1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hello from England and a comment on max charging rate

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by deanobeano, Aug 5, 2017.

1. deanobeano

deanobeano Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Business Ed. Plus
    Hi all

I have been a lurker on here for many years.
    My hybrid car history is as follows:

2008 gen 2 Prius 100k miles
    2010 gen 3 Prius 120 k miles
    2012 Lexus CT200h
    2013 Nissan Leaf
    2014 Vauxhall Ampera (Chevrolet Volt)
    2017 Prius Phev (Prius Prime)

It's great to be back in Prius!

One thing I wanted to share with you is an observation with the charging rates you can select from the smaller screen (ie not the sat nav screen).

In the UK, we don't have the large central display, just a smaller one and the 2 MFD's above it.

Being used to my Volt, I had the option for charging at 6 or 10 amp when using the granny charger. (That's at L2 or 220v here in the UK). The Volt would automatically charge to at 16amp if connected to a 'Fast' charger, ie a charging post at a supermarket (and charge at 3.3Kw/hr)

My Prius Phev is only a few weeks old but today I noticed that if you plug into a 16amp charger, it will only fully utilise those 16 amps if the charging rate is set to Max. If you set it to 8amp (I'm not sure if you have the 8amp or max option in the America) then it pulls only 8amp regardless of being on the granny charger or plugged into a charging post, a marked difference over the Volt.

So far I am impressed with the Prius. A big improvement over the Gen 3. MPG on petrol is excellent and much better than the Volt. Looking to this improving as the engine runs in. I recall the Gen 3 getting better once it passed 6k miles.

Thanks for all the info over the years.

Pdog808, bisco, Bri-n-TX and 2 others like this.
  2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh that is interesting. We do have the 8 amp option in North America.

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm charging at home right now. Here are the stats:

14.7 amps

243 volts

3.57 kW

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    An interesting test would be to borrow a UK Volt 'granny charger' and see if it is adjusting the charging current between '6 and 10 amp' with the Prime set to MAX.

I'm thinking this may be a case of dealing with different grid systems:
    • 230V, single phase, 13A - UK
    • 120V, split phase, 15A - USA
    • 210V, two of three phases, 30-50A - USA commercial
    • 240V, both phases, 30-50A - USA
    The portable charger in the USA is rated at 120V so it is easy to limit the charging current to 12A, the 80% of 15A. Plug into a 210-240V, the maximum 16A could be drawn if the portable didn't blow a fuse.

We are seeing multi-voltage, multi-current EVSEs in the USA market. Still expensive, they are small enough to replace the portable EVSE yet flexible enough to handle up to 20-22A from 120, 210, or 240V outlets (they can come with adapters.) But owning two plug-in hybrids, I am skeptical about using L2 chargers for significant range extension:
    • ~3.3 kW ~= 9 miles in an hour either one
    • ~6.4 kW ~= 25 miles in an hour, BMW i3-REx
    • ~40 kW ~= 80 miles in half an hour, BMW i3-REx CCS
    If I am parked for an hour doing something else, carpe diem, and snag a charge. But if I were trying to go cross country, using 40 kW CCS it would take:
    • 1:10 hh:mm -> @70 mph (an overly optimistic rate)
    • 0:30 hh:mm -> charge back to 80 miles
    • 1:40 hh:mm to go 80 miles or 47 mph block-to-block
    Understand I'm OK with snagging a charging opportunity on a cross country trip but gas refueling time is so much shorter, I don't spend a lot of time hunting down charging stations ... unless I'm doing something else like a meal, appointment, or sleep.

Bob Wilson

5. PT Guy

PT Guy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Bob, all the electrical arrangements you list are single phase. They're still single phase whether or not they have one or two hot legs. Split phase is just a way of attaining two voltages, both single phase, with the minimum of conductors used. Two of three phases is a misnomer--it's two legs of 3 phase--and still single phase. "Both phases" is not two phase power, that was used a hundred years ago (which needed four hot wires). "Both phases" is still single phase connected across two hot legs. The power coming into our homes doesn't have two phases.

If displayed on an oscilloscope, all the power mentioned above would show a single sine wave. Three phase power shows three sine waves 120° apart. The antique 2 phase power had two sine waves 90° & 270° apart.

Db17 likes this.
  6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

I didn't want to jump into vector math which is how I see the various circuit configurations. So in the USA, each "normal" leg is 120VAC:
    • 120VAC - one leg
    • 240VAC - two legs 180 degrees apart
    • 210VAC - two legs 120 degrees apart
    By "normal" I am excluding power motors, heaters, industrial machinery, e.t.c. We talking about circuits that power lights and light-duty appliances and such.

Bob Wilson