1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hello from Nottingham England

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Notts Dave, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Notts Dave

Notts Dave New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello everyone in PriusChat-land. My first post on here.
    I'm just ending my first week with my first Prius and so far i'm impressed.

A little about me then, Well i live in the UK near Nottingham and i work as the Parts Dept manager at a Toyota Centre. Until last year i worked for Toyota Uk at thier factory in derby building Avensis and Auris.
    So far i'm very impressed with the Prius Gen 2 and the only thing that bugs me is the gear change lever. I think its counter-intuitive in that you move it across and back to go forwards or across and forward to go backwards..... hmm.
    Anyway, are there many UK residance on here?

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome aboard! Good to have some additional inside personnel. Enjoy the ride!

3. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    One or two of us about :)

Welcome to the forum. It's a mine of information. One quick thing to note - US gallons are smaller than ours (3.7 litres compared to our 4.54), so if they get excited about getting 50 mpg it's really about 60 UK mpg.

4. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You're obviously used to manuals. ;)

The internationally standard order for automatics is (left to right or top to bottom): Reverse, Neutral, Drive[, Limited gears by high gears]. Park can be at either end or, as in the Prius, separate.

On our Civic the shifter is top-to-bottom and goes: Park, Reverse, Neutral, Drive, Drive-max-3rd, 2nd, 1st. So in the Civic we pull back to go both backwards and forwards when starting and forwards to go back after driving.

What's unusual about the Prius is that it's self-centering, so it's always to the side of neutral.

The new Prius c (and presumably the Yaris hybrid) will have the standard Toyota jagged shifter with B at the bottom after D.

I'm an ex-pat, carried across the Atlantic by love (and a visa).

I lived in the Nottingham area for 9 years. West and then North. Whenever we visit my family in the UK we'll stay in Nottingham at least one night and if possible visit some friends in the area, eat at the Antalya Turkish restaurant (I can't get imam bayıldı in this state*), have a pint of Stowford Press at the Victoria in Beeston and go to a Forest match (although at the moment I'd expect I'd need some more Stowford Press after watching them).

* Despite what the Internet menu for the Mediterranean Grill in Freeport, ME says, I didn't see imam bayıldı on the menu. Maybe it just said "stuffed eggplant" and I missed it. Besides we didn't like what we had there, except for the köfte. Tips from other Maine residents are welcome.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    cheers!:D

6. Notts Dave

Notts Dave New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the replies and welcomes. Its nice to know there are a few UK folk about. Thanks for the heads up about the US/UK gallons thing andas far as the gear shifter goes, well i thought there'd be a reason to it.

7. tv4fish

tv4fish Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome Dave; You don't by chance know of or heard of a bloke by the name of Rick Brett? He's heavy into Kawasaki motorcycles and a "World Traveler" :) He also has a place over here in Michigan. Just curious??

8. Notts Dave

Notts Dave New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Never heard of him, does he live near Nottingham? I know a few biker types so i'll ask them.

9. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Welcome Dave from another Brit and enjoy the forum. You should be able to help people from this side of the pond with UK part info and I am sure you will also pick up much useful information.

10. johalareewi

johalareewi Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    :welcome:
    There are a few brits here and many other nationalities. It isn't just the USA. :rockon:

A lot of us are also on the Toyota Owners Club forum at
    Toyota Owners Club - Toyota Forum

11. Notts Dave

Notts Dave New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I certainly won't mind supplying part numbers or screen dumps from EPC if anyone needs them.

12. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks Dave I'm sure we will keep you busy.