1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hello, I'm Paul, I have a 2003 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Paul Baillie, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Paul Baillie

Paul Baillie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I bought an 03 with 58K miles on it. shortly after I bought it the check main battery light came on, after the local Toyota dealer told me I needed a new main battery ( 5 to 6 K $ installed! ) I started looking for an independent mechanic with some Hybrid experience. I was lucky to find a good shop locally (I live in Hilo, Hawaii) with at least as good a diagnostic machine as the dealer. I had a P3000 code, a high voltage leak. It turned out to be corroded buss bars and cables, with 2 leaking cells, $1,450.00 latter the onboard computer said the problem was fixed and my display read normally for about 1,500 miles before I started getting that code and the check main battery light again. I took it back to the shop tat did the work and they ran the diagnostic's on it again, checking the main power cables that led from the main battery under the car to the Toyota Hybrid system, inverter? under the hood they checked all of the high voltage connections, they all checked out fine. The shop then took several days to do an online search for possible causes. This led to the CV trans axle with its electric motors and generators as the possible culprit. The car is running and driving fine, so I did the 60,000 mile transmission oil change, suggested by my mechanic ( apparently the fluid becomes conductive with age) the check battery light will go off if I remove the secondary battery terminal for a minute or so and stayed off for 2 tanks of gas after the fluid change but it did come back on. I can reset the computer easily enough and it will stay off for 3 to 400 miles but I'm looking for any other ideas to get the damn light to stay off. I'm going to change the trans fluid again and then I'm about out of ideas. Has anyone ever changed the drive motor or generator?, can this be done in the car? or at all? It may be that if this is the problem it may end up making sense to just put in a new CV transaxle, I can get one for around $3,500.00 any thoughts or insights?
    Aloha, Paul B

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome aboard Paul. Sorry to hear about the issues. I would think all that salty air would cause havoc on a prius. Well hope things can get sorted out.

3. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Paul hopefully a master mechanic will respond to your thread soon

4. Paul Baillie

Paul Baillie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Spiderman
    I'm on the Big Island, we're larger than several of our smaller states so unless you're right on the ocean, salty air is not an issue. I garage the car and bought it from Oahu where, given the mileage and condition, I'm pretty sure it was a garaged little old lady (or man) car. I am told not driving a Prius regularly is worse on the Hybrid system than regular driving.

spiderman likes this.
  5. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two