1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hello-New here. Let's talk Modifications

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by squid, Nov 19, 2004.

1. squid

squid New Member

I am buying a Prius next week and was wondering if anyone knew of any particular rims that look good on them. I dont just want to conserve energy, I want to look good doing it. Planning on immediate rims, tints, suspension package, and possible body kit with oil slick paint job. Does anyone know of any companies that modify Priuses? Im in the S.F. Bay.

Hit me with any links or names.

Thanks,

Chris

2. squid

squid New Member

Thanks for all the help. :roll:

Has anyone AT LEAST put rims on their Prius? I need some help and advice here. I'm wondering if anyone has looked into how much extra strain throwing the Scion 17 x 7's on the Prius puts on the electirc motor. And the brakes. Any advice on or personal experience with this? :|

3. techogurl

techogurl New Member

I know that people have put different rims on their Prius. As for the 17" Scions... I am not sure about them. I know that they should fit, but will lower fuel economy. You might want to shoot a message to Arizona Charlie to ask about what occured when he put 17" on his Prius. Alternatively you can just do a search on it.

As for modding, I am going to use a Scion lighting kit for my Prius and debating on Huper Optik vs V-Cool tinting. What body kits are you thinking of?

4. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Most prius mods are purchases at the Japan store. There are a few on here who know the address. You can get lower springs, Skirts, Rims, etc.

5. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(squid\";p=\"52142)</div>
    How about some potentially lifesaving advice??? Especially if your new Prii comes with VSC!

Per the owners manual (which you don’t have yet):

Only use tires of specified size. The size, manufacturer, brand and tread
    pattern for all 4 tires should be the same. If you use tires other than
    specified, or mixed types or size, the vehicle stability control system
    may not function correctly. When replacing the tires or wheels, contact
    your Toyota dealer.

6. Speedracer

Speedracer New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Past week I was shopping new set of wheel,.. but I decided to spend money for Stainless steel brake line from Tom's. its around 400buck include installation.
    For wheel I almost got set of 17" rim but couldnt afford it :oops: It was like 1900bucks drive out.... As far as in Japan only few light weight 17" rim will work for Prius,
    Right now I'm looking for used 16" rim which from another Toyota Product.
    Other hand if I buy 17" rim now I can ship it back when ever I move back to U.S :mrgreen: if I able to get Prius... :roll:

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    technogurl, tell me how the SCION interior light kits goes in terms of ease of installation and such. I'm interested in adding them.

8. Arizona Charlie

Arizona Charlie New Member

USING A LARGER WHEEL ON THE PRIUS. HERE ARE THE SIZES.:

Tires are 205/45-17 Wheels are 17x7 +42 to +45 offset PCD is 100 5 lug. The wheels were purchased from from www.wheelmax.com the tires are Falken Ziex 512’s. (Consumer Report's top pick for all season tires)

I also should add that the '04 Prius uses the same wheel and tire combination as an '03 or '04 ToyotaCorolla.

I do not recommend making this change. It will reduce your MPG by 5 miles per gallon. Remember Toyota picked the wheels and tires that work best on the car and you should not fool with mother nature!!!!!

Arizona Charlie

9. techogurl

techogurl New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius\";p=\"52178)</div>
    I'll post some info and pics just as soon as I get started with messing around. For install, the only really difficult part of most kits will be extending some wires and drilling a hole into your cup holder to get it all to work. Right now I plan to put the button into the spot where the EV switch should be. I chose to use the Scion kits as I'm getting a discount from the dealer and is Toyota affiliated so I don't have to worry alot about warrenty issues.

I suggest going to your local Toyota shop and checking out the light setup by Luxaura to see what you think. It might be cheaper/brighter/etc for you to consider a different type of light such as neon, led, or cathode tubes. Remember to consider what color you want such as single or multiple and if they will be reactive to anything such as connected/integrated with your sound system or car doors etc when picking out your setup.

You might consider this aftermarket Scion kit: http://www.randode.com/interior.html

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The problem is that I'm in Canada. So I'll have to drive down if I wanna check out the Scion Luxura kits :p

11. Joel

Joel New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Arizona Charlie\";p=\"52236)</div>
    That was my post and I currently get 49 MPG with the 17 inch wheels and wider tires - but I get superior wet weather traction and improved strait line stability thanks to the wider tires - in other words, wind gusts and passing vehicles have less effect on my trajectory now :)

12. squid

squid New Member

Sufferin: Now, don't take this the wrong way, because I appreciate the advice, but that quote from the manual is found in every manual for every car made by any given company. It's in my Mercedes manual(threw on 19's), it was in my Jetta manual(threw on 18s), my Corrado V60 manual(didn't touch it, too perfect), and probably would have been in my 72' Nova SS manual too if they'dve cared(threw on 17s). :lol: But ya, the reason it says that is because it can potentially void the warranty I'd assume. Thanks though.

techgurl: You're gonna laugh your nice person off (and possibly steal my idea) but....my buddy owns a body shop and.....I'm going to attempt to modify Porsche front and rear skirts to fit the Prius. Ya. That's right. :guns: lol.

It's good to hear about the MPG. It was my guess that it would be taxing the gas motor more than anything, but some one brought up so I figured I should ask those "in the know" (ya'll).

So the stock tire size is 185/65/R15. The nearest equivalent for 17s would be 200/45 since that would make the ride hieght slightly lower(2.70mm) and the tires would be a bit wider(15.0mm), you could fit 200/40/R18 almost as well and possibly 200/35/R19 considering Arizona is saying 205/45's will fit. I think 205's would make it a bit sluggish and strain the steering support a bit too much, which is why I was "compromising my ideals" and going with the 200s.

Joel- What size are your tires?

tire size conversion website for ya'll: http://www.dakota-truck.net/TIRECALC/tirecalc.html

13. Joel

Joel New Member

205/45-R17 - not really any strain on the steering though, not sluggish either. Just loose a few MPG because of the extra friction / traction.

14. techogurl

techogurl New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(squid\";p=\"52433)</div>
    Believe it or not there is already Porsche front end kit for a Prius. I've seen pics of the car in fact. Wasn't exactly my style but maybe yours will be cooler when all is said and done. As for body kits, I do like the ground effects that are on the blue Pri in the album. It looks nice from the front but the back isn't so impressive.

15. techogurl

techogurl New Member

Oh I forgot to comment on rear skirts... I saw pics of where someone did a home job of the rear skirts. It looked sorta wierd to me. Perhaps with some sculpting it would have looked more streamlined.

Are you going to do a home job on the skirts? If so... would you go with body sculpting with styrofoam and bondo? Just curious.

16. squid

squid New Member

oh we'll definitely be reshaping the whole bumper...I'm not quite sure what my friend has planned, but hes great with design.

Do you have a link where I can see the Porsche kit? I'll be using the GT2 skirts.

17. techogurl

techogurl New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(squid\";p=\"52534)</div>
    Here's a link for the Prius Porsche:

[Broken External Image]:http://www.hirbour.org/images/PriusPorsche.jpg

Remember to provide pics when you get the skirt and if you do the kit.

18. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(techogurl\";p=\"52559)</div>
    That's hideous.

19. justwatchme

justwatchme New Member

ugh :sick: those porche headlights dont work on a prius at all. Anyone else have body kits put some pics up :wink:

20. techogurl

techogurl New Member

Yah I'm not into the Porche kit... but if you want a more racer look that one light blue car in the gallery has nice ground effects. Well I don't like the rear bottom ones but overall it's not horrible.