1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hello! This is my story

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by Ryephile, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Ryephile

Ryephile The Technophile

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I have to be honest; most of my car friends' heads are still exploding. I'm still in shock that I actually own a Prius, albeit a Prius c Two in Moonglow. You see, I come from a long history of owning small sports cars with manual transmissions; BMW E36 M3, MINI Cooper S's [5 of them!], Miata, & VW GTI. I also raced electric R/C cars through much of my teens and 20's and was reasonably successful, maintaining top 10 in the midwest. Going slow for the intellectual fun of being efficient wasn't part of my repertoire.

Until I became fascinated by VW's latest TDI. I ended up buying a Golf TDI 6mt and was thrilled with its perfect mix of luxury, torque, practicality, connectivity, style, and efficiency. Fast forward 30k miles, and while doing a routine fuel filter service, I found metal shavings in the filter. This isn't catastrophic per se, but it means the high pressure fuel pump is starting to wear and will eventually fail. Considering the VW warranty does not cover any part of the fuel system, and it's about $9k when it does fail, I started shopping for a new daily driver. Since I love small cars as a physical homage to volumetric efficiency and their inherently low inertia, they're always on my radar. Cars that interested me were:

*Fiat 500 Abarth
    *Hyundai Veloster Turbo
    *yet another MINI
    *Mazda2
    *Honda CR-Z
    *Toyota Prius c.....mainly because the media reviews were excessively harsh and bitter, and that usually means they're either totally right or totally wrong.

The Abarth is literally impossible to buy; they're not making any more until the fall. Bummer. Kinda ditto the Veloster Turbo, technically available but impossible to find. The current gen MINI bums me out with its awful steering feel, plus the price is kinda ridiculous once you add all the options the rest of the world includes standard [i.e. bluetooth/USB]. The CR-Z didn't do it for me with its eye-searing amateur interior, average handling, relatively poor fuel economy, and did I mention the bad interior? The Mazda2 is good clean cheap fun but honestly a bit too cheap.

Approaching the Prius c, I have to admit I wasn't expecting a whole lot. I knew it wasn't going to handle amazing, but I also knew there are Yaris tuners out there that can knock out the wobble and get it to handle the turns without embarrassment, so there's potential. The interior is a whole different ballgame; it's whimsical and unabashedly amused with itself. I love designs that aren't apologetic, and the interiors use of color and strong shape are entertaining but not offensive [unlike the CR-Z]. The powertrain is fascinating. The electric motor bits are a throwback to my R/C racing days, and i can easily relate to their torque curve and operation. The Atkinson cycle ICE is also amusing in its application along with the eCVT to keep the system operating at the highest efficiency possible. During my test drive I didn't even miss the lack of a clutch pedal, plus the Bluetooth integration was easier and better than my VW.

I pulled the trigger. The Two was the perfect spec for me; I don't care about Nav or proximity key, and sweaty vinyl isn't my shtick. Financing was easy and cheap, the TDI trade in was excellent, and the whole dealership experience was top-shelf. Even my insurance has dropped significantly, even though I'm insuring a newer car.

[​IMG]
    IMG_1128.jpg by Ryephile, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    RYE_4778.jpg by Ryephile, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_1137.jpg by Ryephile, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    RYE_4791.jpg by Ryephile, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    RYE_4783.jpg by Ryephile, on Flickr

I've already taken the car on a few little road trips, so even though I've only had it a week and a half, i've already put over 1,100 miles on it, averaging over 54 mpg so far. Very impressive.

Here's the Prius c next to my fun car, a Lotus Exige S, which I take to the track every chance I get. The salesguy was pretty tripped out, saying that I now have two totally polar opposite cars. I never thought I'd have two white cars!

[​IMG]
    IMG_1099.jpg by Ryephile, on Flickr

Cheers and look forward to being around for a while,
    Ryan

Archaeo, tk1971, DC ebikes and 2 others like this.
  2. Ryephile

Ryephile The Technophile

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Oh, for those that are on Fuelly, Here's my badge:

[​IMG]

Also, I should mention that I've already starting making moves on the suspension. My plan is to get coilovers that don't overwhelm LRR all-seasons while lowering ride height, don't sacrifice total stroke, and have improved digressive damper curves to maintain smooth ride yet improve chassis control and cornering weight transfer. Here's a shot when I was taking some initial measurements:

[​IMG]
    RYE_4799.jpg by Ryephile, on Flickr

3. Konowl

Konowl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think you helped me decide on my colour!!!! Looks good. Been having trouble deciding on colour myself (and deciding if I want a Prius right now but that's a topic for another day) but looks good in the Moonglow colour!

4. ewaboy

ewaboy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Congrats! I've never owned a hybrid or even really driven one till this year. Although not a car"phile" I do find the technology fascinating.:cool:

Hope you post your mods so the rest of us can get ideas on what kind of changes can be made to enhance the driving experience.:D

5. littlebigland

littlebigland Sonic Blue Prius c

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Congrats!

I have to say: those two look sharp next to each other!

Ryephile likes this.
  6. crebble

crebble Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Great post! It's ironic, you're coming from a Golf TDI to a C and I was looking to do the opposite for a variety of reasons. VW reliability is a concern and your post bears that out. How did you fare with your GTI?

Ryephile likes this.
  7. dellrio

dellrio Im pretty much awesome

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    One added benefit of the Prius C is you get to worry less about pesky speeding tickets. In high school i was a speed demon until the day I got clocked at over 120 on a 55mph highway. I lost my firebird - and have had small slow cars ever since. Nice to see other people on here who can appreciate both aspects of the automotive world and also to see others who have tuning and modding knowledge. Welcome to the club.

8. rjdriver

rjdriver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three

I did 120 mph for a brief stretch once, as a passenger in a Triumph convertible with the top down on 95 north in Massachusets. It definitely qualified as one of the scarier moments in my life, as I did not totally trust the driver. 105 was the fastest I have ever gone behind the wheel myself, and it was a 4 cylinder Pontiac Tempest that absolutely would not go 1 mph faster.

But that's was all a different time and a different me. I have now been "Priusized", or should it be "hybridized", by having to watch the gauges on the dash of my C, and drive considerably slower. I still exceed the limit, and still have the radar detector on the dash, but instead of 20-25 miles over, I might do 10-15 now. A Prius is kind of like the Borg of cars. Resistance is futile!

9. BGGirl

BGGirl Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Congrats on the Moonglow. It is a neat color! I am absolutely jealous of your "fun car!" I would love to have something like that to take to the track when my husband is racing. I wonder if the Lotus comes in Summer Rain Metallic!

Ryephile likes this.
  10. Jason dinAlt

Jason dinAlt Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I finally found an answer that shut up my "car" friends. When asked to explain why in the world I bought a Prius, I give what is, in fact, the only valid answer:

Because I wanted one.

secondspassed, Ryephile and dellrio like this.
  11. Ryephile

Ryephile The Technophile

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. (y)

I very much liked the GTI, especially the sonorous underrated engine [more like 230HP from the factory], the plaid upholstery, and the steering HID headlights. It's certainly a great Gran Turismo car that happens to be a practical hatchback. After having both, I still like the TDI's "perfect mix", but the damn reliability of the HPFP is a major heartbreaker. I can't in good conscience recommend the TDI unless you get some sort of aftermarket warranty that covers the fuel system.

Thanks, and thanks! :D What does your husband race? Also, Lotus will paint your car any color you want...for a price of course.

That's all that really matters at the end of the day, is that you're genuinely happy with what you drive. Enthusiasts that are reasonably intelligent will listen to the reasons you enjoy the Prius and will respect that.

12. BGGirl

BGGirl Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    He drag races in the LODRS Super Street class. He has a 1982 Mustang with a 351 Windsor block in it from a 74 Mach 1 Here is a pic.
    [​IMG]

tk1971 likes this.
  13. Ryephile

Ryephile The Technophile

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Very cool, thanks for sharing :)

14. Ryephile

Ryephile The Technophile

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Just trying this out, playing with Google Earth.

This is my drive to work. With the Golf TDI, I would consistently get about 40 MPG going to work, and about 49 MPG on the way home. I haven't made enough trips with the Prius c to get a good sample, but early indications seem to average out to about mid 40's going to work and upper 50's coming home. drive path1.jpg

15. GruveeGuru

GruveeGuru Moonstone

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Yesssss another Moonglow!!! Welcome. I like your Lotus too :)

16. Ryephile

Ryephile The Technophile

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks on all counts! :)

I had the chance to give the car a bath and wax this weekend. It was a quickie, just some Prima Mystique and then Zaino Clear Seal. I took a few pictures that really highlight the Moonglow color with it's green & blue metallic and red tint clear. It's not an easy color to photograph that's for sure. I'll be sure to post them when I get home.

17. SILVERCwSUN

SILVERCwSUN Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three

Great posts! and welcome! Moonglow is a great color, however, silver is the stealthiest and fastest color:D just kidding...

Cheers!

Ryephile likes this.
  18. DC ebikes

DC ebikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I think you could easily do mid 60's on the way home. The C loves to glide!
    Good luck!

19. BGGirl

BGGirl Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Well I agree that Moonglow is a great color and that silver may be the "stealthiest color" but SRM is the prettiest!! LOL ;)

20. AWDstylez

AWDstylez 500hp to 99hp

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three

And which set of coil overs is that? I'm intersted.