1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

hello

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by TNJellyBean, Dec 29, 2006.

1. TNJellyBean

TNJellyBean New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tumbleweed @ Dec 30 2006, 11:39 AM) [snapback]368594[/snapback]</div>
    well, i made it to 400mi before the last dot on the gauge (not blinking) and i stopped to fill up - the pump only registered a little more than 6 gallons for a fill up (which was not quite a fill up as i found after i turned the car back on, i was one dot shy of actually full).... so, in doing the math, that's more than 60mpg - much more than the 48.8 mpg my computer thought i had... so i know that can't be right, and when i took delivery it was completely full (all the dots were on).... so i'm completely confused!

does anybody have any ideas approx how many gallons each dot represents? i'm sure this question gets asked a lot, so i'll do a search, but if someone wants to make it easy on me...... ;)

in the grand scheme i guess it doesn't really matter all that much at the moment, my old car would get me around 280 tank before i got nervous and refilled, so i'm way ahead of the game as it is, even if the mileage is considered "low" for a prius.

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Jelly Bean:

You didn't get the tank full, so you were assuming less gas than you actually burned, which equates to more miles per gallon. (Fewer gallons for the miles.)

In this case, the problem was you didn't fill the tank as full as it had been. (The assertion that dealers don't fill the tank all the way is unjustified: every dealer will be different.)

But in general, that pesky gas bladder will assure that you seldom get the same amount of gas into the tank twice. That means your mpg calculation for any given tankful will be extremely unreliable. However, if you faithfully record the amount of gas you pump every time you fill up, then over the long term you'll have an accurate figure, providing you correct for any error in your odometer. (Check it against the mile markers on the highway. Those are probably surveyed very accurately.)

The bladder is not all bad, however: It prevents fumes from escaping. Fumes are pollution. And therefore gets the car its PZEV rating. It also prevents air from entering, and thereby greatly reduces the amount of water condensation in the gas.

I don't track my mileage. I am constitutionally incapable of remembering to write down how much gas I pumped. Besides, with my many short trips I'd have an embarrasingly-low number.

P.S. When my Prius was new I generally got 6.5 gallons in when the last pip blinked. You didn't wait for the blink so your 6 gallons sounds about right. The bladder seems to stretch with time, and with warmer weather, and you get more in.

3. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Welcome to the mysteries of the "guess gauge". In theory it is an 11.9 gallon tank and 10 pips on the gauge for 1.2 gallons/pip. Since there is a bladder inside the 11.9 gallon tank the capacity has to be somewhat less. When fueling set the nozzle on the slowest speed and stop at the automatic shutoff. The gauge does not instantly return to full. I haven't timed it but it seems to take a minute or so. I have never not had all the pips on a fill up.

I would go to the gas station and pump what will probably be an embassaring small quantity of gas into the tank to fill it up. (Presuming you've gone at least 50 miles.) If the gauge still does not show all the pips I would have the dealer recalibrate the gauge. You could do it yourself but the procedure sounds like a PITA as you have to level the car then go through a list of gyrations.

On your normal commute (or familiar routes) don't worry about the size of the tank and fill up at 1 pip. I use the displayed miles and mpg to estimate the amount of gas used.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TNJellyBean @ Dec 30 2006, 05:15 PM) [snapback]368708[/snapback]</div>