1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

help - 08 prius won't start after sitting

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Steelerfan2018, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Steelerfan2018

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi all,
    2008 prius. Has been sitting since march 13 due to staying indoor because of covid-19. Before this it was my Lyft car and was incredibly reliable - probably 2000 miles per month.

Had to go to the bank, so I went out yesterday morning and the car started up fine. I forgot something, so I went back home after going about 2 minutes down the road. Ran into my neighbor who wanted to talk so I got out of the car and went and chatted with him for about 10 minutes or so. When I got back to the car the gas motor was off and every light on the dash was on - including the red triangle.

I ran into this before, so I put my charger on it (with AGM enabled) overnight for 24 hours. This was set at trickle charge - 2amps. I tried starting again this morning and same thing as yesterday - will not start and every light is on on the dash.

I am not sure I got a good connection, since the needle on the charger said near 100% yesterday and was basically in the same position this morning. I reset the clamps, heard a click/hum from the charger and now the needle is at 60%. It is possible the clamps weren't sent correctly.

When I reset the clamps I put the charger on medium - 10amps.

The main battery meter in the prius dash is blue at slightly above half - FYI.

My questions:
    - last time my 12v died, I do not remember the red triangle. Is this normal? Scared the hell out of me.
    - If I need a replacement 12v battery, anyone have directions on replacement? Recommend a good battery?
    - big Q - is 10 amp medium charge OK? Or should I go back to the 2amp trickle?

Any comments appreciated,
    Rob

2. Steelerfan2018

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    FYI - after reading some more I switched the charger back to 2amp.

3. qmanqman

qmanqman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Make sure the battery cables are on tight and the posts and clamps are clean.

4. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    IF....the meter is actually showing the charging amperage AND that isn't over 5 amps or so initially, the higher setting should be fine.
    As long is it is dropping slowly after an hour or so. If it continues going UP, that is a bad sign.
    How old is the present battery ?
    It does sound like a bad connection might be at least a part of the problem.

Once "running" the 12 V battery has to be REALLY bad before it will affect the vehicle operation.

SFO likes this.
  5. Steelerfan2018

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for the reply - I have it currently set at trickle. The battery is about two years old.

6. George W

George W Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Does the Gen 3 battery have a charge rate of C20?

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think second gen Owner's Manual recommends charging at 3.5 amp max?

I would take a break from charging, at the very least measure the at-rest voltage, after the car's sat overnight, with a digital volt meter. For a better idea, test it with something Solar BA9.

For replacement battery, Pep Boys used to have a Bosch, but they don't seem to be selling now. Maybe due to problems? Dealership part department is your most reliable now I'd think.

8. Bunce

Bunce Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    All kinds of weird stuff happens when the 12v battery gets into low territory, I've experienced this numerous times with a weary old battery. I reckon you should be fine after a good charge.

9. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My manual says the same, however, there is a warning sticker on the OEM battery that cautions to not charge at more than 4.2 Amps.

All the while the (non-OEM) AGM battery I have installed is quite happy to charge at 10 Amps – but my charger only does 5 Amps maximum.

Mendel Leisk likes this.