1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help - 12V Electrical Gremlin After Hybrid Battery Change

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Overworked9000, Feb 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Overworked9000

Overworked9000 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I refurbished my Hybrid battery per all of the threads here. The pack reads fine and the car drove excellent for over 500 miles.

However, recently I got the Red Triangle warning, VSC, etc. After this occurs, I can no longer get the "ready" light to appear after restarting the vehicle or shift into drive, unless I disconnect the battery (to reset the vehicle).

I have continually checked for error codes and I get NONE. NO error codes. However, clearing the codes removes the issue, so I can restart the car in "ready" mode and be able to shift into drive. After removing the error, it pops up again anywhere from immediately to 15 miles later while the vehicle is on.

I suspected it was my 12V battery from reading here. Tightening the connections actually made the warning pop up less frequently. However, the issue still continued. I decided to replace my 12v battery, but the issue did not go away and actually occurs more frequently.

I suspect I have a short in the linkage to my 12v battery, and maybe need to replace the connector with the fusible link. Does anyone have any ideas?

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    With what are you checking the codes? You obviously have codes, it's just your reader is not seeing them, seeing as when you disconnect the battery and reconnect it there are no lights. You really need to get a reader that can see all the codes set by the various computers.

My WAG is you have a high voltage leak to ground. The DTCs will confirm this.

andrewclaus likes this.
  3. Overworked9000

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have an WiFI OBD2 scanner. It is the same scanner that gave me the bad HV battery codes PA080, etc

I am getting the techstream next. By high voltage leak, do you mean from the Hybrid traction pack?

4. IMkenNY

IMkenNY Im just being nosy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I agree most likely a HV leak.
    Since you recently worked on the traction battery that would be the likely culprit but the leak could also come from inverter, ac compressor, transaxle or wiring harness.
    The Techstream should confirm this for you.
    Below is a link to a you tube video that attempts to diagnose the leak source on a gen1 Prius:

#4 IMkenNY, Feb 4, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    [QUOTE
    I have continually checked for error codes and I get NONE. NO error codes. However, clearing the codes removes the issue[/QUOTE]

What?

6. Overworked9000

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    What?[/QUOTE]

No codes show in the report. But I can still clear the memory. It does this even when no codes are shown.

7. IMkenNY

IMkenNY Im just being nosy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    The code is there, your WiFI OBD2 reader cant read it but the techstream software can.

edthefox5 likes this.
  8. Overworked9000

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The error only appears after the car has been on a while. It won't appear unless the engine has run a bit.

I'm still waiting for my techstream to arrive. If it is HV lekage, based on the fact I had the battery case opened and reconnected does anyone have any points to pay attention to?

9. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hows the engine oil level?

10. Overworked9000

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Update. I found a short in the HV battery case. Nut split in half (I did not overtighten). You guys were right. All is well now.