1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HELP!!! 2001 Prius

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by DonnaTodd, Sep 22, 2016.

1. DonnaTodd

DonnaTodd New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Ok guys, please go easy on me. I bought my 2001 first gen prius used about 130,000 miles on it from a dealership. Only one key and I had no user guide. I didn't realize about the low gas thing. Now I do. Here's the run down. I was late for a Dr. appointment on Monday had to get gas when I got back to town but had had the last bar blinking. I usually fill out before I even get there but I just didn't have time and I'm single mom with unemployment as my only income at the moment. When I got back to town (roughly 30 miles) I put in 1.75 gallons. The bar was still flashing so I just shrugged it off thinking it must not have been enough to move it up yet. Got paid the next day and filled up to full. The gauge still didn't move! I was concerned figured it was a sensor issue so no biggie. The next day I'm driving on highway and get the dreaded triangle and the gas pedal is not responded. Long story short had to have it flatbedded home. So no it won't start and it says add fuel. Could I have toasted the fuel pump??? Please tell me you have some idea on what I can do. And please be kind, I have three kids and I'm job hunting like crazy. I don't know much about cars so technical questions may be difficult to answer. Thanks

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Donna and welcome to PriusChat.

Try disconnecting the 12 V battery for a minute (get someone you know who knows about cars to help you if necessary). This will force the car to recalibrate the fuel level.

Let us know how you get on.

3. DonnaTodd

DonnaTodd New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I

I've tried that already....i did browse you guys a little after the fact.

4. DonnaTodd

DonnaTodd New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I should add, that did clear the red triangle and check sanguine, however still says add fuel when there's nearly a full tank. I was only sixty miles from having just topped it off