1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HELP!! 2006 Prius stalling

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Tech Tips, Oct 14, 2017.

1. Tech Tips

Tech Tips Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    So I was accelerating into the left lane of a highway (90kph) and then the car lost most of the power, I floored the pedal but the car was still slowing down. The ICE had suddenly stalled. Luckily the electric motor allowed me to safely get to the side of the road. The check engine and the red triangle lit up. When I restarted the car they were still lit up and the engine would start up for a couple seconds but it would idle unevenly and sound like it was having trouble. When I tried to shift it into drive and accelerate the ICE would have trouble and it would feel like the entire load was being driven by MG2. The traction battery discharged because I was getting over a small hill to try to get off the highway. Then the battery got to 2 bars, so then I stopped. The ICE tried to charge the battery but after a few seconds it stopped, so then I shut the car off. I then put the car into diagnostic mode and I saw these codes under Lan check (see image)

Attached Files:

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's not diagnostic mode that's just manufacturing data for the mfd. Codes need to be read by hybrid capable obd2 reader.

Well off the cuff you have no oil in the engine or the inverter pump failed or a very dirty
    Throttle or your out of gas or you need a new hybrid battery.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you're going to diy, get a mini vci. if not, take it to a dealer, or hybrid expert.

SFO and jerrymildred like this.
  4. Fredsimm

Fredsimm Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    3 basic needs for an ice to run. Fuel, air, and spark. Sound like one is lacking or quitting. Beyond the basics is mechanical failure as mentioned above like no oil in the ice. I agree with bisco, check the codes. The condition seems to indicate a lack of fuel. Clogged fuel filter, bad pump, or you ran out of gas. Gauges aren't always accurate.Let us know what you find.

SFO likes this.
  5. Tech Tips

Tech Tips Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yeah, I just yesterday checked the oil and filled it up, it appears the the inverter coolant pump is working since there is turbulence in the reservoir, and I had just checked the air filter so I have heard that that can shake loose dust and dirty the MAF sensor. Also I had just filled up yesterday, but it may have something to do with that I added fuel system cleaner last night.

Yeah, I’m thinking of getting a mini-vci but right now it is at the dealer.

The tank level was full at the time but it may have something to do with that I added Rislone 2-part fuel system cleaner. But it also seems like it maybe a bad 12v battery.

#5 Tech Tips, Oct 15, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2017
    bisco likes this.
  6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How much oil did you add? What's the dipstick reading?

Prodigyplace likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    please keep us posted, all the best!(y)

8. Tech Tips

Tech Tips Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    It first seemed that the oil was extremely low a couple days ago, like halfway below the low dot. So then I panicked and added about 1 quart of 5w-30 conventional oil from my old car (I do not know if I the Prius used synthetic). The next day I bought 3 quarts of 5w-30 high mileage blended synthetic. But just when I was going to add the oil I then checked the dipstick and it appeared to be 3/4 full, it looked smeared. I checked it 3 times and I got the same reading. So I did not add any extra oil. The place where the car stalled the a tight corner and a hill, on my drive there there was a couple steep hills so I do not believe that is was low oil. Also when I started the car the engine had I little trouble starting and it sounded like a lower then normal rpm. And over about 10 seconds it slowly revved up to its normal idle rpm and then shut off. It even had trouble doing that as it was wavering the rpms. Another reason why this might have happened is that I had added Rislone 2-part fuel system cleaner last night.

9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The safe operating zone is when the oil is between the 2 dipstick marks. Those 2 marks represent about 1.6 quarts of oil.

So if your oil reading was half way between the dots, it's in a safe operating zone. To get it to full, you would need less than 1 quart. I'm suspecting you may have too much oil in your engine.

Best to check early in the morning, before you start the car. Pull the dipstick and get a reading. If your oil level is "significantly" above the full mark, then that may be the cause of your problems.

10. Tech Tips

Tech Tips Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yeah, I meant that it was halfway below the 2 dots.

11. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So you probably did some damage to your engine by running the oil that low. But I can't imagine it would leave you stranded. It would just run like crap.

Did you add the oil after it stalled or before?

12. Tech Tips

Tech Tips Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    It didn’t seem like it had low oil because there were many hills on the way there and the engine didn’t run very loud or crappy.

13. Tech Tips

Tech Tips Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I added the oil before

14. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you added oil before it broke down, it shouldn't be oil related as you were reading 3/4 full on the dipstick.

Unless it's the fuel addictive, somehow stopped fuel going to the motor

15. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How many miles on this beast.

Are there any lights displayed on the dash?

What has the dealer said, if anything?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  16. Tech Tips

Tech Tips Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Around 95,000
    The red triangle and the check engine light,plus the MFD said problem.
    The dealer opens on Monday.

It may have loosened gunk which got stuck in the fuel filter or the injectors?

#16 Tech Tips, Oct 16, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2017
    SFO likes this.
  17. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Look before you leap, with the high mileage oil. If your oil consumption is not excess, and you've not used HM oil in past, I would pass: its distinction is that it swells rubber, valve seals and the like. Once you start on it likely best to stick with it: if you switch back to regular oil the aforementioned seals will shrink back, likely ending up looser and more leak prone than before.

SFO likes this.
  18. Tech Tips

Tech Tips Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Ok:) Thanks!

19. Fredsimm

Fredsimm Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I forgot to mention. You may have gotten some water in the tank. Without full control of the throttle, it would be difficult to keep a Prius running with water in the gas. I have to be careful where I live because it's a big problem with some gas stations.

20. Tech Tips

Tech Tips Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thanks!