1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help, 2008 prius will not start, no light on dash board or anything

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by winwinownu, Mar 10, 2018.

1. winwinownu

winwinownu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi guys, while I was installing the after market radio and testing it, I had my open opened(unwrapped) I think 2 of the wire contact each other which caused short circuit or something. Right now, when I push the start button, I don't see anything come up. It seems like the prius is out of the power, however the horn and emergency button(left and right signal blinks) still work. Anything else are not working. I also checked the fused, none of them were blow. I am really confused at this point. Can anyone help please? Thank you in advance.

2. winwinownu

winwinownu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

I meant wires, I couldn't edit my post.

3. PAUL SCHULTZ

PAUL SCHULTZ Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you shorted wires I still would suspect a fuse. They can be very tricky to identify at times. Do you have a multimeter to check continuity of each fuse? Also, since you were doing some wiring modifications do you think you could have disrupted some wiring circuits?

Paul

4. PAUL SCHULTZ

PAUL SCHULTZ Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Here is a link to a post with a fuse diagram....

Radio fuse or fuse diagram | PriusChat

Instrument panel fuse #7 (7.5A) in the diagram looks like it might give your symptoms. But, other fuses could as well.

Paul

5. winwinownu

winwinownu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am going to get a multimeter tomorrow. I don't think I have disrupted the wires. At first, my after market radio(pioneer nex2300) screen come up and I was playing it, then I see some fires from the unwrapped wires. Then the car won't start again. I thought I might have short the batttery, but the emergency lights and horn still work. anything else will not work. lock, unlock wont work. I can't start the car now.

6. winwinownu

winwinownu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you for replying, if the Instrument panel fuse is burnt. shouldnot the lock unlock or headlight switch still work? I suspect there may be some main fuse which is blown? is this possible?

7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In engine bay black plastic box on the right is full of fuses. Theirs a description of each fuse inside the cover.

In the cabin by your left knee theres another fuse box. Same deal.

You should not chop up the factory harness. They sell adapters at Best Buy that plug into the existing plug that will break out the wires you need to prevent this very thing. No chopping necessary.

Go buy that adapter and butt splice everything back to where it should be. Then find the fuse or fuses you blew.

You will at least need another adapter if you want the controls on the steering wheel to work.

Thats 2 adapters to do it right.

8. PAUL SCHULTZ

PAUL SCHULTZ Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There a many many cirucuits and many fuses. You can short one fuse that handles several circuits. So, it is very possible to have some electrical function and not others. It depends on which fuse you have blown... or fuses.

For instance, the fuse ECU-IG handles several circuits including: Smart Key System, start system, multi-function display, power windows. If these are not functioning then you would suspect this fuse or circut to have a problem.

You need to give as much details on what electrical systems are not working right now. This might help narrow down the short circuit.

Also, when working on wiring you have learned to never leave bare wires exposed. I am sure if you take a methodical approach you will find the problem. Keep reporting back here as I am new to the Prius world but not new to working out car issues. However, I am sure there are veterans on PC that will give excellent guidance! I know this can be fixed!

Paul.

Andyprius1 likes this.
  9. PAUL SCHULTZ

PAUL SCHULTZ Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yes... definitely repair your wiring issue prior to continuing. If you continue to have a short you are not going to resolve this problem. Fix the shorted wiring asap. Using the adapter harnesses for your radio is an excellent recommendation! Well worth the cost and peace of mind.

Paul

Andyprius1 likes this.
  10. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That and I wouldn’t even think about chopping into a connector that has 12 volts on it without first disconnecting the 12 volt battery.

This is the last car on the planet that you should be shorting out the 12 volt buss. Every ecu in the car is hanging off that 12 volt buss.

$$$$$$$$$

11. winwinownu

winwinownu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    some updates, I finally found the issue. one of the fuse was blown "Audio system, interior lights, smart entry and start system, gauge and meter, turn signal lights, luggage room light, clock". I replaced and I see the light come up now on the dash. Now I have encountered another issue.
    The car will not detect my key, I am now able to start my car. I can still use lock and unlock functions on the key fob, however when I entered the car, the key warning light is on. Any ideas?

12. winwinownu

winwinownu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Some more symptoms:
    1. when I insert key to slot and pushed start button. nothing light up.
    2. when I take out the key from the slot and push the start button, the screen light up.
    3. When I push the start button again. all dash light come up and then I can only shift to Neutral gear.

13. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Check fob batttery, 12V battery and reboot. Reboot consist of disconnecting - or + wire at 12V battery, re-
    connect after 5-10 seconds. 2-3 three attempts at going into ready may be required also. There are many Electronic Control Units that will reboot and align with each other in order to go into ready.

14. winwinownu

winwinownu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have tried to disconnect the negative terminal and reconnect. I have tried 3 times and it didn't start the car. Also when I insert the fob into the slot and push the start button. Nothing will happen. does that mean this is a bad key?

15. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes it really does sound like current stops there, either a open or a short, see if you can take the key slot mechanism out and check it for continuity.

16. winwinownu

winwinownu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did you mean to unplug the wire behind the key slot and try again with key on the pocket? I mean when I have key on hand, I can start the multi functional display and dash-lights. but I can only shift to neutral. The ready message will not come up.

17. PAUL SCHULTZ

PAUL SCHULTZ Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    At this point it may help everyone if you describe with as much detail what you did with the wiring when you were installing the head unit. Mention which wires, what color, there location. And, after you had the short circuit can you identify which wires shorted? Your head unit is the least of your concerns at this point. We need to have precise details of what you did so we can provide as much help as possible.

So, take a pause. Sit down and provided a numbered write-up of what you did.

In the meantime, check all fuses in all the fuse boxes (interior, engine bay). You still could have more than one fuse blown. Also, check the voltage of your 12V battery.

Paul.

18. winwinownu

winwinownu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

Thanks Paul, At this point. I don't even care about my head unit. I have put back my old radio unit. The wires were not cut or anything. I was using a module adapter which connects to the factory harness. The black tap that is in the picture is where I got my fuse blown.
    I have put back my factory head unit and replaced my fuse and now I can see the dash board light . I was happy first.

Then I went to start my car, here is the symptom.
    1. I can lock and unlock my car. The door unlocks if i stand next to my car.
    2. I opened up the door and sit in the car. I see the immobilizer flashes. If I keep key with me.(not inserted in the key slot). At first push of start button. I see the screen turn up, I don't see anything at dashboard at this point. I push the button again, the icons on the dash board light up and I don't see the ready message and I can only shift to neutral.
    3. If I insert the key into slot and push the button, then nothing happens.

Things I have tried, I have used jump start to hook up the engine fuse box just in case it is 12v battery related issue. I also measure the volt with my meter and I see 12.5 volt on the display, I think it is not battery related.

Some background about the key. I used to have 2 keys with me, and my GF lost one of my keys and I got a OEM key from a dealer and got it programmed. Then she has one of key and lost it again, I m not sure if the lost one is master or it is the one I programmed. I only have one key with me at this point. I suspect something might got reset and this key will not work anymore? is it even a possibility?

Attached Files:

19. PAUL SCHULTZ

PAUL SCHULTZ Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    OK, it is much better than I thought. I had the impression you had spliced into your wiring harness to install the head unit.

You are describing IG-ON mode with pressing the start button twice and then only being able to shift into neutral. Just to be clear. This mode is normally obtained by pressing/releasing the start button twice without having the brake pedal depressed. The vehicle will not go to READY in this procedure.

If you have been depressing your brake pedal while pressing start then the system is not registering this and preventing the vehicle going to READY. This may be a problem with your SKS and immobilizer system as a result of the short circut, perhaps another fuse. Or, you might have a brake pedal issue where the brake switch is not being properly engaged. This would inhibit the start sequence as well.

Paul

20. winwinownu

winwinownu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi Paul,
    First, sorry about my poor english, I finally sorted out the issue, there is a missing fuse on "9 OBD 7,5 On−board diagnosis system". I don't how it happened, maybe when I was checking on the blown fuse I inserted the fuse into wrong slot. Anyway, there are many spot where fuses are missing on my cars under the steer wheel. I don't know if all of them are necessary. Probably you can help me on that.

I finally got my car started and I'm so happy about it. The first thing I do is to come to here to report it back to you. You were really helpful. Thank you again! Thank you for everyone who helped me. I will report back when I got my stereo head-unit installed.

Chami76 and Raytheeagle like this.