1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help - 2010 Prius II Sunroof Leak

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Tim Gallagher, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Tim Gallagher

Tim Gallagher Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I purchased a 2010 Prius Gen II or III (identified by cloth seats and limited bluetooth). I apologize for my ignorance, but from all appearances I do not have a solar sunroof, but rather a more simplified version.

When purchased the owner stated the sunroof leaked and therefore had caulked it. Well it started leaking again after six months of ownership. I took out the caulk (not to difficult). The motorized mechanism seems to be working, but it does not open and close vertically without a manual push, nor does it seal tightly.

Can anyone provide a diagram of the parts used in this particular sunroof? Is there any instructions on how to troubleshoot, clean, lubricate, etc?

Thank you in advance, it has been raining here in NJ and driving everywhere with the whistling and rattling when I try to close it is... a test of one's sanity.

Sunroof - Outside View.jpg Sunroof - Inside View.jpg Sunroof controls.jpg

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You'll have to ask the original owner (or whoever installed the moonroof) where they got it done. This is an aftermarket moonroof and not a factory one.

Johnso1 and pjksr02 like this.
  3. Tim Gallagher

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you. Your help is greatly appreciated.

4. pjksr02

pjksr02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    +1. Probably a good idea to get a professional sealing job.

How many miles on your car? (Read up on the EGR system in other threads.)

5. Tim Gallagher

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you for the heads up on the EGR.

I have a new PCV to install, transmission fluid for drain and fill, new spark plugs, new screws and washers to reinforce the heat shielding, new shielding for underneath (part that covers oil plug & filter is missing) and now I am adding an EGR cleaning.

I have never dealt with an aftermarket sunroof, first one I have ever owned (and truly the last). It appears to be a Webasto (model unknown but Hollandia 310 appears about right). The closest certified dealer is 1.5 hours away. The electric motor is moving, but the tracks are most likely gunked up, cracked, or bent.

While I try to never back down from a challenge, this may just be a lost cause resulting in a combination of good silicone caulk and a gasket maker on the glass edging. I will call the aftermaret dealer and if anything comes of it, I will post.

6. Johnso1

Johnso1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    And how did it resolve? Just Seal it shut and enjoy simple sun coming in?

GardenWeasel likes this.