1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HELP: 2010 Prius Needs Major Engine Work/Repairs

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Serious Mixture, Jun 21, 2022.

1. Serious Mixture

Serious Mixture New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2010 Prius (148,000 miles) has a “profoundly blown” head gasket and my local shop says I need to completely replace the engine if I ever plan on driving it again.

I got a quote from a Toyota dealer to install a brand new engine for around $11,000 with a 16 week wait time to order the parts and complete the work. For a lot of reasons I’m not too keen on this.

Does anyone have any suggestions or words of wisdom as to what I should do?

Does anyone have any experience having a used or rebuilt engine installed by an independent mechanic? If so, about how much would either cost?

Does anyone know a good hybrid mechanic in Seattle area that they would recommend for this sort of work?

Thanks everyone - I really don’t want to buy a brand new car but not sure if having this one repaired is smart or in the cards. Cheers!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    lots of threads here on replacement head gaskets and replacement engines.

a decent salvage engine should cost you $3-5,000. installed, if you can find a mech. yours won't?

some are even installing salvage gen4 engines, but there are a few tricks.

3. Serious Mixture

Serious Mixture New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks - yeah mine doesnt do major engine work apparently - ill look for someone else who does - cheers!

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    JDM engine and matching transmission to have a system in there that's got about the same mileage as each piece and generally under 80,000 it's the way to go these engines are sensitive and they break easy inside so once you get this fancy mess done to your head then the bottom breaks or whatever 11,000 or 16,000 and wait time for an engine in the 2010 what are you kidding me I did this for I don't know under 3,000 installed for both pieces that's purchasing installing them buying coolant oil and all that won't even touch it a third of that mess good lord but hey I guess if you got it knock it on out buddy spend it I couldn't do it shoot that rebuild the plane money there

5. seeker311

seeker311 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I've personally installed x2 Gen 4 engines. The write ups here are great. I got x1 from a junk yard in Cali with 30k miles, and one from a tx junk yard with 50k miles. Once you get a newer engine, install an oil catch can asap.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

6. NAM TRINH

NAM TRINH New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Let's find out whey the engine needs to be replace in the 1st place. My 2010 Prius has 241K miles and now has the famous "head gasket" issue. I am replacing the head gasket now and hope to keep it on the road for a awhile.

ASRDogman likes this.
  7. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yeah that's really cool. But just realized this is an open deck affair. And you want to be checking and double checking every stinking thing or there may be problems.

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    My moneys on neglected EGR cleaning. Should be done at the latest by 100k miles, 50k thereafter.

Toyota screwed up, and not losing face is apparently more important than their customers.

9. NAM TRINH

NAM TRINH New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Got the HG replaced, it's practically a weekend job if you don't do it often; Steps by steps from the Gasket Master youtube video and the repair manual will get you there. I do have repair manual if anyone needs it. I order the engine gasket set directly from a Toyota dealer; not all gaskets will be used.

I did clean the ERG tube a bit; from what I can see; the clog wasn't too bad. The engine runs smoothly now with no knocking or missed fire that I can tell; I haven't ran the car much.

You need more than 1 gal. of the red/pink coolant; I picked them up from Autozone for $20 ea.

The car now needs a new 12V battery, AC recharge, and HV battery rebuilt. It's a 2011 with 214k miles...will go to my father in law for his around town driving.

If anyone has basic mechanical skills and a weekend to spare, the HG job isn't a big deal...let me know if there is any question I can help with if you decide to tackle the job.

SFO, ToyXW and ASRDogman like this.
  10. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Did you clean out the cooler also?